Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Three out of the four sound just like an American would say it. Hm.
As I said earlier, it's clear that most AmE speakers make it a four-syllable word but most BrE speakers give it just three.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, and I use both. However, I think the recording I pointed to is very useful in that it's easy to emulate for a learner like the OP who is struggling with the pronunciation of that word. In fact, if I had that issue with one of my students in class, I would focus on that pronunciation solely for precisely that reason.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I said earlier, it's clear that most AmE speakers make it a four-syllable word but most BrE speakers give it just three.
I believe Tarheel was referring to the link teechar provided. Four examples of British pronunciation are listed under the "🇬🇧 Accent: British” icon. Of those four examples, three use four-syllable pronunciation. Obviously, those three examples should have been placed under the “🇺🇸 Accent: American” icon. teechar correctly referred to the recording by gemmelo to illustrate the correct British pronunciation of “January”.
I’ll let @Tarheel explain the “Hm” comment in his post. 😉

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe Tarheel was referring to the link teechar provided. Four examples of British pronunciation are listed under the "🇬🇧 Accent: British” icon. Of those four examples, three use four-syllable pronunciation. Obviously, those three examples should have been placed under the “🇺🇸 Accent: American” icon. teechar correctly referred to the recording by gemmelo to illustrate the correct British pronunciation of “January”.
No. Both the three-syllable and the four-syllable version are fine in BrE. I probably vary between the two, depending on what, if anything, follows.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wasn't suggesting that using the four-syllable version isn't correct in BrE. It is, of course. The word clearly has four syllables. However, the vast majority of BrE speakers, in normal everyday language, use the three-syllable pronunciation. The people who record on Forvo, with words like this, have to decide between how they would say a word in their everyday life and how it's pronounced "formally".
If I were making a formal speech, I would probably give it four syllables.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know "Hm" needed an explanation. 😊 However, I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that the British pronunciation is with three syllables. Now I know they use both.

The trickiest, in my opinion, is February. January is second. (The easiest, of course, are May and June.)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know "Hm" needed an explanation. 😊 However, I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that the British pronunciation is with three syllables. Now I know they use both.

The trickiest, in my opinion, is February. January is second. (The easiest, of course, are May and June.)
@Tarheel - Hm! I bet mohammedabo will be happy when May and June arrive! ;)

(Just for fun, I think I'll try pronouncing "mohammedabo" on Forvo! ;))

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would think the vast majority of native speakers pronounce February as if the first R did not exist.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm a big fan of how September is the ninth month, October is the tenth, November is the eleventh, and December is the twelfth. It makes sense when you know how it's come to be this way, but it still perplexes my tingling Latin-speaking senses.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Ceasars weren't content with inventing the salad and the surgical birth procedure, and had to go muck up the numbering system.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would think the vast majority of native speakers pronounce February as if the first R did not exist.
Absolutely! Many people say "Feb-yuh-ree". Some people pronounce it as if there were no "ua" either. In rapid, everyday speech, many BrE speakers say "Feb-ree".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here it's Feb-you-air-ee, with the latter three syllables exactly as in January

To be clear, I mean this is how most people say it. I say it correctly, with the R. Feb-roo-air-ee

Last edited:

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Now it's much better.

Try to say it in one go instead of syllable-by-syllable. Or better yet, say it in a sentence.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It sounds somewhat like two separate words rather than one when you say it. Janu-ary.

Work on making the transition more fluid, so it sounds like one word.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It sounds understandable to me. I'm not a native speaker, so I'd wait for one's opinion, but I think you've done a pretty good job when compared with your first attempts in the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.