[General] Does this sound natural: I read your book "Attitude is Everything" a few years ago..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Does this sound natural: I read your book "Attitude is Everything" a few years ago..?

[FONT=&quot]The text:

I read your book "Attitude is Everything" a few years ago and it had a tremendous impact on my life.[/FONT]

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Re: Does this sound natural: I read your book "Attitude is Everything" a few years ag

If the book still has an impact on my life, should I use "it has had" instead?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Does this sound natural: I read your book "Attitude is Everything" a few years ag

Either way is okay, but I think simple past is more natural.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Yes, that's exactly right.

However, it's not very good to mix a past tense, which focuses on a past time (I read your book a few years ago) with a present tense, which is meant to focus on a present result (it has had a tremendous impact on my life) in the same sentence with a simple conjunction (and). You need to find a way to reconcile this mismatch.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You need to find a way to reconcile this mismatch.
Hint: there's a very simple solution.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would infer (with "had") that there was a single, specific instance that the book had on one's life. With "has had", the impact continues to be evident.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania

Yes, that's exactly right.

However, it's not very good to mix a past tense, which focuses on a past time (I read your book a few years ago) with a present tense, which is meant to focus on a present result (it has had a tremendous impact on my life) in the same sentence with a simple conjunction (and). You need to find a way to reconcile this mismatch.

I guess I should use the semicolon like so?

I read your book a few years ago; it had a tremendous impact on my life.

I thought that in [FONT=&quot]English the restrictions on the choice of tenses are normally more to do with what makes logical sense than with grammar rules.[/FONT]

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I read your book "Attitude is Everything" a few years ago and it had a tremendous impact on my life.

NOT A TEACHER

If the book is still influencing your life, you might write a more concise sentence something like: "Your book Attitude is Everything has had a tremendous impact on my life."

(One assumes that you must have read it.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The text:

I read your book "Attitude is Everything" a few years ago
, and it had a tremendous impact on my life.
Yes, it sounds natural. With a comma, it will look natural, too.

It's fine with has had, too, but that has a slightly different meaning. Without has, the book was a turning point. With has, the book is having a continuing effect.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I guess I should use the semicolon like so?

I read your book a few years ago; it had a tremendous impact on my life.

You've used two past tenses there. I was talking about mixing the past simple with the present perfect.

I thought that in English the restrictions on the choice of tenses are normally more to do with what makes logical sense than with grammar rules.

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't mention any grammar rules.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Saying that something had a tremendous impact on your life pretty much implies that it was a lasting one, and it does not suggest that the effect has ceased to have meaning. Indeed, the opposite is true. If you no longer considered it relevant you probably wouldn't mention it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.