Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

In China, there’s an interesting situation. Many young parents know some English words and have passed some exams, very basic level ones, always challenge their English teachers. Usually English teachers here, yes, not native speakers, but have passed exams about English of advanced levels.

Usually when I meet such a parent, I don’t talk to them because they always believe that they’re right. When they think that my friends who graduated from some language university are not capable of teaching kids english, I suggest that they teach English themselves.

Today, in a chat group with more than 200 parents, I said: “Some parents I know teach their kid’s teacher how to teach English though they know less than 10 English words” and then someone (a parent) said:

You’re talking about me?

Well, I don’t know why she said that and I said:

Don’t take the spot to sit in.

The sentence is a translation from Chinese meaning don’t just believe that you’re the one who’s being talking about. It’s from the Chinese idiom when people use their number to sit on their corresponding seats.

I think it’s not natural at all. Could you please tell me the idiomatic version.

Much appreciated.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the cap fits, wear it.
What does this sentence mean?

Edited: Come on, Rover, I looked it up and I now know what it means. I'll write it down.

You know, I admit that my English isn't good but you can't say that those parents' English is better than my English. I've been tutoring many students for more than 12 years. I know you look down on people like me but I don't think it's wrong to do what I like by keeping learning correct English and teach my students what you've taught me. You must be kidding, right?

Please, I really want to know the idiomatic version of the italic one in my thread.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English we might say, "If the shoe fits, wear it!"

Perhaps:
I admit that my English isn't all that good, but you can't say their English is better than mine.

The phrase "keeping learning" doesn't work at all. I think you need "teaching" there.

Everything is relative.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In American English we might say, "If the shoe fits, wear it!"

Perhaps:
I admit that my English isn't all that good, but you can't say their English is better than mine.

The phrase "keeping learning" doesn't work at all. I think you need "teaching" there.

Everything is relative.
Those teachers of English stop learning English after they graduated from university. But I'm still struggling here every day for some better expressions of my English. I think that's the difference. I'm not lying. Please trust me.

Is there an idiom or expression for the italic sentence in the OP?

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
I assume you're asking for a semantic equivalent of the Chinese idiom. I could be wrong, but I don’t think there’s one.

When that parent made his/her accusation, you knew he/she fit your description/criticism. The Chinese idiom is used to deny the fact that you knew (and hence he/she was targeted by you too). In Western culture (Rover’s and Tarheel’s responses(*1)), it’s frivolous to deny knowledge of this fact, so that’s why I don’t think there’s one (and I’ve never heard of one).

The point to to deny his/her accusation, so you can simply reply "no" or something wordy like "I don't know what you're talking about," "not my problem if you do exactly that," etc.

(*1) They are basically saying “I’m talking about people in general, but since you fit the description/criticism, so yeah, I’m talking about you too. Just own up my criticism already.”

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those teachers of English stop learning English after they GRADUATE from university. But I'm still struggling here every day for some better expressions of my English. I think that's the difference. I'm not lying. Please trust me.
Well, I struggle with figuring out how to respond to these things sometimes. 😊

I think the problem with that one is that it's a direct translation from Chinese. Unfortunately, to a speaker of English it's perplexing. 🤔

I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything -- even in a subtle manner -- to make you think I thought you were lying.

I think Dunchee answered that very well.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For some reason people keep expecting me to have a much better memory than I do. I'm usually following several threads at a time. Also, somebody will say something like, "What about the sentence in the OP?" Then I have to look at that post again. Thankfully, I am paid by the minute. 😊