[General] Don't wanto to divulge too much personal information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to the bank to update my ID card information there. It's past the expiration date. When I was filling the form, I deliberately not to write the money I earn per month and my job, also I didn't write my current address. All of these options are not necessary to be filled out but the staff asked me to write things in. When I walked out of the bank, my friend asked why I used false information, I said to him "I don't want to divulge too much personal information".

Is my italic sentence natural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to the bank to update my ID card information because [STRIKE]there. It's past the expiration date[/STRIKE] the card had expired.

When I was filling in the form, I deliberately [STRIKE]not to write[/STRIKE] didn't write in the money I earn per month [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or my job title.

Also, I didn't write in my current address.

All of these [strike]options[/strike] details are [STRIKE]not necessary to be filled out[/STRIKE] optional but the staff asked me to [STRIKE]write things in[/STRIKE] enter them.

When I [strike]walked out of[/strike] left the bank, my friend asked why I [STRIKE]used false[/STRIKE] didn't enter that information, and I said to him "I don't want to divulge too much personal information".

Is my italic sentence natural?

Note my corrections above.

You didn't provide "false information" if you left those sections blank. You would have provided false information if you had lied about your earnings, job title and home address.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As for whether "I don't want to divulge too much personal information" is natural, most people wouldn't say "divulge." More likely:

- give
- give them

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What about reveal/disclose? I agree that divulge is a bit formal.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What about reveal/disclose? I agree that divulge is a bit formal.
They don't seem very conversational, either. Not terribly awkward, but not as likely as something simpler.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
They don't seem very conversational, either. Not terribly awkward, but not as likely as something simpler.

I thought reveal is simple, common and conversational enough.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought reveal is simple, common and conversational enough.

I agree that it's a fairly everyday word but there's still the question of whether or not someone would use it in a casual conversation with a close friend. If a good friend of mine accompanied me to such an appointment, this is how the chat afterwards would go:

Friend: How come you didn't you fill in all the sections?
Me: Didn't wanna give 'em too much info!

As you can see, neither of us would use "false information", "divulge", "reveal" or "disclose". All of those (except "false information", as I explained in my first response) are perfectly adequate words for describing the situation; I'm simply pointing out that that's not generally the sort of language we use when chatting with our mates.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Friend: How come you didn't you fill in all the sections?

I think the bold "you" was a typo. Am I right? I notice that when I was writing down this conversation in my notebook.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, but isn't I notice another?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the bold "you" was a typo. Am I right? I notice that when I was writing down this conversation in my notebook.

You're quite right. Initially, I wrote "Why didn't you fill in ..." but I changed my mind and changed "Why" to "How come". However, I forgot to remove the other "you". Well spotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.