Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Until any vaccine for the COVID-19 is discovered, Doohickies will have used every plant of jungle for making kahwa tea (to prevent getting affected by the virus) but they won't wear masks.

A herb called 'sana makki' has recently been claimed, by a Brit-Pakistani, to have cured patients suffering from COVID-19. The sentences above are a satirical expression about the people/nation of a country. I have used the term 'Doohickies' so that I don't hurt anyone's feelings. Is there anything wrong, in terms of English grammar, with the sentences above?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Until a vaccine for the COVID-19 is discovered, Doohickies will use every type of plant in the jungle to make kahwa tea to prevent getting infected by the virus, but they won't wear masks.

A herb called sana makki has recently been claimed [no comma] by a Brit-Pakistani [no comma] to have cured patients suffering from COVID-19.

The sentences above are a satirical expression about the people of a country. I have used the term 'Doohickies' so that I don't hurt anyone's feelings. Is there anything wrong, in terms of English grammar, with the sentences above?
In the first sentence, if they used every plant in the jungle, the jungle would become a desert. You probably mean every plant variety, every type of plant. But there are so many kinds of plants in a jungle that it would be impossible to brew a tea using all of them. So are you sure you mean use? Would try be a better verb?

I'm not sure what you mean by Brit-Pakistani. Does it mean a British Pakistani? In the US, a British American is an American born in the UK or of British descent.

Also, the second sentence is convoluted. More direct: A Brit-Pakistani has recently claimed to have cured COVID-19 patients, using the herb sana makki.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Americans don't pronounce the H in "herb", so we write an herb.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I didn't know that doohickey was not part of British English. A doohickey is a thingamajigger, a thingamabob, a whatchmacallit. Usage must be different in Pakistan. We would not call a person a doohickey.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know that doohickey was not part of British English. A doohickey is a thingamajigger, a thingamabob, a whatchmacallit. Usage must be different in Pakistan. We would not call a person a doohickey.
Don't forget us widgets!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm waiting for the round tuits to unionize and strike for more vacation.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
In the first sentence, if they used every plant in the jungle, the jungle would become a desert. You probably mean every plant variety, every type of plant. But there are so many kinds of plants in a jungle that it would be impossible to brew a tea using all of them. So are you sure you mean use? Would try be a better verb?

Yeah, 'try' sounds better.

I'm not sure what you mean by Brit-Pakistani. Does it mean a British Pakistani? In the US, a British American is an American born in the UK or of British descent.

A British Pakistani. I used 'Brit' as an informal/short term for 'British'.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
All that did is make me wonder what the heck 'doohickies' might be.

'Doohickey' is a North American term used when you don't recall the name of an object or thing. I thought it can be used for a person too.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

What noun can I use to refer to those people?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can call people from a fictional country Fredonians without the risk of causing offense.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hail, hail, Fredonia, land of the brave and free!:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
ROLLER, I don't know why you are worried about offending such people. Egregiously stupid behaviour calls for strong language. Avoiding profanity, I'd call them fools, boneheads, cementheads, idiots, morons or some such.

Last edited:

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
ROLLER, I don't know why you are worried about offending such people. Egregiously stupid behaviour calls for strong language. Avoiding profanity, I'd call them fools, boneheads, cementheads, idiots, morons or some such.

I just felt it's not right to name them openly.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or "know-it-alls".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm waiting for the round tuits to unionize and strike for more vacation.
My 7th-grade science teacher was a rather corpulent gentleman named Mr. Tuitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.