Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi, good afternoon, I'd like to know are all three sentences correct?
Let's have the funny looking women eat the rice.
Let's get the funny looking women to eat the rice.
Let's have all the rice eaten by the funny looking women.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'd like to know if are all three sentences are correct?
All three are grammatical.

The most natural is the second one (using "get").

The first is a little formal and that use of "have" isn't very common nowadays in my opinion.

The third is unnatural.

Are these your sentences? In what context would this be said?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@pizza-bolognese According to your member profile, your native language is German but you grew up in the Philippines. Out of curiosity, how did that come about?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In all those odd-sounding sentences, 'funny-looking' should be hyphenated.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Malaysia
The context is that my Chinese friends always order much more food than we can consume so my idea is to give the rice to the funny looking women instead of just throwing it away

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
What do you mean by "funny-looking women", and why's it necessary to refer to their looks? We don't know what you're thinking, so you'll have to explain.

You could just say "Let's give the extra rice to those women". (I'm wondering if you're referring to people working there who might appreciate someone giving them food.)

None of your choices are suitable for that situation.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@pizza-bolognese I know what you mean, but it would be much more natural to say they order more rice than they can eat.

It's odd to me that they would make a habit of doing that. After all, you would think sooner or later they would figure out how much is too much. Also, every place I've ever been they let you take the leftovers home with you.

I don't know about Malaysia, but where I'm from people get mad at you if you call them funny-looking. (I don't recommend it.)

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes they always order food and drinks for ten people although we are usually only four or five because they don't want to appear as parsimonious people

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is inappropriate to refer to anyone as funny-looking.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, they always order food and drinks for ten people although we are usually only four or five, because they don't want to appear as to be parsimonious people.
What a baffling concept! If they want to provide food for other people, why don't they ask other customers what they would like to eat? If I were in a restaurant and another customer approached me and tried to give me their leftovers, I'd refuse. I'd be even more likely to refuse if those people had referred to me as "funny-looking". It's very rude and I suggest you discourage your friends from using it.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes they always order food and drinks for ten people although we are usually only four or five because they don't want to appear as parsimonious people

Sounds to me like some kind of p*ssing contest to show who has the most money. What they're really worried about is people thinking they don't have so much money that they can't afford to be careless with it. If they really just don't want to appear cheap, then why not try paying for everyone else's (normal amount) of food?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Further to what @Skrej said, I have a couple of friends who though not billionaires are worth at least a hundred million. They are very unassuming and self-effacing because they have to worry about kidnapping. Most very wealthy people are like that in my experience.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Pizza-bolognese, you haven't told us yet who these women are. Are they other customers or are they people working at wherever you eat, or others?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Malaysia
No only some Pinays dressed up as Mexicans with sombreros and fake beards who make music in the streets

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, only some Pinays dressed up as Mexicans with sombreros and fake beards who make music in the streets.
What are Pinays? Are the women still in the street when you're talking about them?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
A Pinay is a woman from the Philippines. A Filipina.

Pizza-B, are these women street performers who don't have much money and would appreciate free food?

If you give us context and tell us what you're talking about, you're more likely to get helpful answers.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
I wonder if you actually asked them the reason behind it and that was the answer they gave you. Not that I've ever done that but I can relate. I'm from Taiwan originally and I haven't been back over 20 years, but I won't be surprised if I go back and my friends order food and drinks that can feed 100 people(*1) at a restaurant for our reunion. All I can say is it's a cultural thing.

(*1) Okay, I exaggerated. 🤣

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wonder if you actually asked them the reason behind it and that was the answer they gave you. Not that I've ever done that but I can relate. I'm from Taiwan originally and I haven't been back in over 20 years, but I won't be surprised if I go back that my friends order food and drinks that can feed 100 people(*1) at a restaurant for our reunion. All I can say is it's a cultural thing.

(*1) Okay, I exaggerated. 🤣

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@pizza-bolognese Your latest thread is waiting for approval. It won't be approved until you answer my question in post #3. We need to confirm that all the information in your member profile is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.