Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I cut the map into pieces and handed them over to her, asking her to put those pieces together and make a complete map again.
But within several minutes, she was standing in front of me with a perfect map in her little hands. Surprised, I asked her how she did it so quickly and easily.
She smiled and said." Oh, Dad, there is a man's face on the other side of the map. I just tried to make his face completely."
Then she turned and ran outside to play, leaving me eyes wide and mouth open.

Source: English test paper, Henan Province Senior High School Entrance Examinations, 2020

I’d like to know if “eyes wide and mouth open” is a set phrase.

I wonder whether “leaving me eyes wide and mouth open” can be paraphrased like this.

“leaving me with my eyes wide and mouth open”

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think it's a set phrase because I don't recall ever seeing or hearing it in exactly those words. Your rephrasing is fine and probably more likely than the original.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not a set phrase. Wide-eyed with my mouth agape might work.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I cut the map into pieces and handed them over to her, asking her to put those pieces together and make a complete map again.
Within several minutes, she was standing in front of me with a perfect map in her little hands. Surprised, I asked her how she did it so quickly and easily.
She smiled and said." Oh, Dad, there is a man's face on the other side of the map. I just tried to make his face complete."
Then she turned and ran outside to play, leaving me with my eyes wide and my mouth open.

Source: English test paper, Henan Province Senior High School Entrance Examinations, 2020

I’d like to know if “eyes wide and mouth open” is a set phrase.

I wonder whether “leaving me eyes wide and mouth open” can be paraphrased like this.

“leaving me with my eyes wide and mouth open”
Yes that's a big improvement over the original.

Last edited:

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What about rewording the original "leaving my eyes wide and mouth open" like this?

"leaving my eyes wide and mouth open"
Or:
"leaving me eye-wided and mouth-opened"

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is a set phrase but in Chinese. It looks like a direct translation from the Chinese idiom which has no equivalent in English.

In English, the closest words I can think of are startled (with a startled look), dumbfounded, open-mouthed.

Status
Not open for further replies.