rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have composed the following sentence. Is the use of words that are in the bold letters, correct? Generally, I have seen my colleagues also using such type of words many times which are in bold letters. I think it is wrong. Please guide me.

I have scheduled a face to face meeting for 20th March from 10 am to 12 noon. The Vice Chancellor has asked, if possible for you, could you be able attend this meeting online as you are not keeping well.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "a face to face meeting" is common enough.

What do you mean by "keeping well"? Feeling well?

Try: "The Vice Chancellor has asked if you could attend the meeting online ...."

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The Vice Chancellor has asked, if possible for you, could you be able attend this meeting online as you are not keeping well.
This isn't grammatical.

I informed the Vice-Chancellor that you are not well and he asked if you would be able to attend the meeting online.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Face-to-face" is hyphenated.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This isn't grammatical.

I informed the Vice-Chancellor that you are not well and he asked if you would be able to attend the meeting online.
The Vice Chancellor and I already knew that the person was not well. The VC asked me to check if the person would be able to join the meeting online.

Last edited:

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What do you mean by "keeping well"? Feeling well?
I was not aware of this phrase. One of my friends used this phrase in one of his conversations with me. Then I googled this phrase and learnt when we can use it. Since then, I started using this phrase in some contexts.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I hope you are keeping well is an old-fashioned greeting.
I know you are not keeping well is unheard of though.
Why not just say I know you are not well/feeling well? Using more words is not necessarily better.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was not aware of this phrase. One of my friends used this phrase in one of his conversations with me. Then I googled this phrase and learnt when we can use it. Since then, I started using this phrase in some contexts.
I am unsure what you mean by that. However, I am fairly sure that you know what "not feeling well" means.

Apparently, "keeping well" is a phrase used in that part of the world.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I hope you are keeping well is an old-fashioned greeting.

Apparently, "keeping well" is a phrase used in that part of the world.

Yes, "keeping well", with or without a "not" before it, is common in India.

I know you are not keeping well is unheard of though.
It's used in India.

The Vice Chancellor and I already knew that the person was not well. The VC asked me to check if the person would be able to join the meeting online.
I've scheduled a meeting on 20th March from 10 am to 12 noon. The Vice Chancellor asked if you will be able to attend it online.

If both the speaker and the VC know the other person isn't well, and as the other person will obviously know it too, you don't need to mention it.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I've scheduled a meeting on 20th March from 10 am to 12 noon. The Vice Chancellor asked if you will be able to attend it online.
I wanted to bring in the knowledge of that person that it was a face-to-face meeting. As he was not feeling well, as a special case, he may join it online. That is why I used "face-to-face".

Are there any instances when we can use "schedule the meeting for (date)" in stead of "schedule the meeting on (date)"?

For example, I can schedule this meeting on 28th March. It gives me an impression that I can do the work of scheduling the meeting on 28th. Because today I am blocking the calander for 28th March to have that meeting on 28th, can I write - I can schedule this meeting for 28th?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I wanted to bring in the knowledge of that person that it was a face-to-face meeting.
I wanted to tell him that it was ...
I wanted to let him know that it was ...

You can add the words "face to face".
I still feel that a meeting is by default a face to face meeting. Also, the fact that the VC's asking if he alone could attend it online suggests that the other participants will be meeting face to face.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Are there any instances when we can use "schedule the meeting for (date)" in stead of "schedule the meeting on (date)"?
I prefer "on" to "for", though some people might use "for".

It gives me an impression that I can do the work of scheduling the meeting on 28th.
You might get that impression but it doesn't mean that. When people say "I'll schedule a meeting on --", they're usually referring to when the meeting will be. They wouldn't just specify the date on which they'll do the work of scheduling the meeting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.