GirlSensation

Member Type
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I am studying for KGL English Olympiad Stage 2 and there is a writing part that I want to practice. May you review my letter of complaint example?

Dear Mr. Collinson,

I am writing this letter to give feedback on your restaurant regarding food prices in your menu. In my opinion, I think the prices were too high for the meals on the menu. Most of them cost $70-$80, which is normal in a fine dining restaurant, however, yours take a bistro style and it demands too much for the customer. This made my peers and I order the fried chicken meal instead which rates at $45.

Also, when my four friends and I just arrived at the restaurant, we had to wait for twenty minutes even though empty slots were open for us. The receptionist entertained the other customers and forgot that we actually reserved first. Luckily, one of the waitresses told him to admit me and my friends. I hope that you will improve your customer service once reading our feedback.

Respectfully Yours,
Ms. Villanueva

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I am studying for KGL English Olympiad Stage 2, and there is a writing part that I want to practice. May Can/could/would you please review my letter of complaint example?
What was the exact prompt?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please provide the source and author of the prompt. The screenshot gives us the prompt but not the source details that are required under copyright rules. Once we have that information, we can help you with your letter.

However, it's important to point out that there are errors in the prompt. Here's what it should say:

A new restaurant has opened and you decide to eat there with your friends after a long day at work. When you arrive, you ask for a table for four, but it takes twenty minutes to be seated. The prices are so high that you order only four fried chicken meals because those are the cheapest option and you're on a tight budget. You enjoy the meal but you want to give feedback to the restaurant on their prices and service.

It's clear to me that the prompt wasn't written by a native speaker. It chops and changes between tenses unnecessarily. Note that prices aren't expensive or cheap. They're high or low. The actual food is expensive or cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.