Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

1) Yesterday, I saw the girl whom I love holding a boy's hand. (Yesterday, I saw the girl whom I love as she was holding a boy's hand)

2) I heard the guy named Hector killed by a ganster. (I heard that the guy named Hector was killed by a ganster)

Can we use this structure if I put 'relative clause' or 'a participle' into the sentence? Are the meanings of the sentences I have written on the left side the same meaning in the brackets?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Verbiage alert! Your constructions are too complicated.
Yesterday, I saw the girl I love holding a boy's hand.
Yesterday, I saw the girl I love holding hands with another boy.
I heard that Hector was killed by a gangster.
"I heard that the guy named Hector was killed by a gangster" is correct, but awkward.
There is no need to add relative clauses or participles.

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I know it is too complicated also, but I want to get the answer if it is grammatically fine or not. Because I couldn't get the answer from you.

I heard the guy named Hector killed by a ganster yesterday. (The point is: Hector was killed)

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
"I heard the guy named Hector killed by a ganster yesterday" is not grammatical.
Only, "I heard the guy named Hector was killed by a gangster yesterday", would be correct.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"I heard the guy named Hector killed by a ganster yesterday" is not grammatical.
Only, "I heard the guy named Hector was killed by a gangster yesterday", would be correct.

It's possible if he heard, without seeing, the killing of Hector. It's pretty unlikely though.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
It's possible if he heard, without seeing, the killing of Hector. It's pretty unlikely though.

I thought about that, but Ayssa said that the point was that "Hector was killed". Nevertheless, Bhaisahab is absolutely correct. If he were within earshot, he could say it.
Thanks for the correction, Bhaisahab

Status
Not open for further replies.