Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

From the book Friends forever:

It didn’t take long for this freshman show to find its groove. Co-creator Kauffman said in a 2019 interview, “Somewhere around the fourth or fifth episode we started to figure out what made the show work best. The lesson we had to learn over and over again is it was always better to have them together than them with outside characters. The outside characters had to enter their world. That was a lesson we had to learn a few times before we finally figured that out. It’s funny. At least in my memory, our second season was a little bumpier. It took us some momentum to figure it out.”

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionar...:text=noun-,noun,musical rhythm a jazz groove

1 a long narrow cut in the surface of something hard
2 (informal)a particular type of musical rhythm

Am I correct in thinking that find its groove in this context means find its rythm (By rhythm I mean the speed at which the series develops and becomes more popular)?
Or would it be better to say that find its groove in this context means find its place on TV (based on the first definition)?

Thank you.

Last edited:
"Rhythm" is part of the right meaning. They're using it figuratively. They're thinking about the series' overall mood and pacing.

Is there mean to be an s after the apostrophe?

They're thinking about the series' overall mood and pacing.

Is there meant to be an s after the apostrophe?
I considered adding one and decided to follow the guideline that allows its omission after a singular word ending in s. I decided I wouldn't pronounce the possessive s there, so it was better not to write it.

I considered adding one and decided to follow the guideline that allows its omission after a singular word ending in s. I decided I wouldn't pronounce the possessive s there, so it was better not to write it.

I thought that applies to a plural noun and not a singular noun like "series".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back