Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I recently had a four-day trip with my friends to Florida. On the first day we got there, we played volleyball on the beach. It was exciting. The next morning, we wanted to visit a village but it was very rainy and windy. So we visited the art museum. Seeing a lot of famous paintings was also quite interesting. On that afternoon, we found that the sun came out. So we decided to play in the sand on the beach.

Source: English test paper, Henan Province Senior High School Entrance Examinations, 2020

In the last sentence, is the verb “found” used correctly? Is it necessary to replace it with “saw” or “noticed”?

Seeing a lot of famous paintings was also quite interesting. On that afternoon, we found that the sun came out. So we decided to play in the sand on the beach.
I find the passage unnatural, especially the above.

I would write:
It was an interesting experience as we got to see a lot of famous paintings. The weather was sunny that afternoon, so we decided to enjoy ourselves on the beach.

The verb found is not completely wrong but I can't see the point of it.

In the afternoon the sun came out, so we decided to play on the beach in the sand.

Can Henan Province really not afford to hire an exam writer with better English?

Can Henan Province really not afford to hire an exam writer with better English?
Apparently, no. (I would volunteer for that job, but they'd probably want me to move to China.)

It would never occur to me to use "found' there. I would say it was sunny in the afternoon or that the sun came out (as has already been noted).

It’s a great pity that these test makers are so confident of their competence. They do need to ask advice from native speakers.

It’s a great pity that these test makers are so confident of about their competence. They do need to ask seek advice from native speakersT
I understand the standard of English among the older generations in China is quite low, as evident from the public signages in English that greet foreign visitors. Things are improving with the striving towards globalization and efforts made towards improving the standard of English.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back