Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
United States
I'm studying on English grammar. My question is about Fragment, Run-on or comma splice, and complete sentence.
Can you tel me that, in the below questions, are my answers correct?
Thank you.

1- She answered the phone, making note of the call (Run-on).
2- Although it saved much office space when it was desperately needed (Fragment).
3- The hiring is up to the manager who received reports from supervisors (Complete)

For #1, a run-on sentence would be: She answered the phone, she was making note of the call. All of your sentences should end with a punctuation mark.

I think #1 is OK because 'making note of the call' is a participle phrase modifying 'she', but I am not a teacher.

"She answered the phone, made note of the call" is a run-on sentence.
I doubt it is a run-on sentence because 'made note of the call' is not a clause, but I am not a teacher.

I doubt it is a run-on sentence because 'made note of the call' is not a clause, but I am not a teacher.
Yes, you're right. I've edited my post #2 to make it correct.

Last edited:
Is there some bright line distinction between a "run-on sentence" and a "comma splice"?

What you identified as an example of a run-on sentence I would have called a comma splice.

A comma splice is a type of run-on sentence.

Would you mind giving an example run-on sentence that is not a comma splice?

Polly is jolly Billy is silly.

So Grammar Girl draws a line. Those would be comma spices in her book. Thanks for the link. I've now "liked" her on Facebook.

I walked to the store I bought a soda then I went home and ate a bag of chips.

I think it is a run-on sentence I am Chinese I live in China I am not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back