Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It’s important to distinguish what humans are doing, in following norms, from what other animals are doing in their related patterns of behavior. An animal that decides not to pick a fight is, in most cases, simply worried about the risk of getting injured-not about some abstract “norm against violence.” Likewise, an animal that shares food with non-kin is typically just angling for future reciprocity-not following some “norm of food-sharing.” The incentives surrounding true norms are more complex. When we do something “wrong,” we have to worry about reprisal not just from the wronged party but also from third parties. Frequently, this means the entire rest of our local group, or at least a majority of it. Big strong Albert could easily steal from wimpy Bob without fearing trouble from Bob himself, but in human groups, Albert would then face sanctions from the rest of the community. Collective enforcement, then, is the essence of norms. This is what enables the egalitarian political order so characteristic of the forager lifestyle.

Source: Interesting Snippets

What does "this" refer to?
What exactly does "means" mean in this context?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Reprisal from third parties.

If "this" refers to "reprisal from third parties", what does "means" mean? It seems to me that it should mean "applies to".

third parties, i.e., the entire rest of our local group

Should "this" be "these" because "third parties" is in the plural?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Reprisal from third parties" is a thing. One thing.

So "this."

And here is what this means. There's no special definition of "means." It's defining and explaining the term.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Reprisal from third parties" is a thing. One thing.

So "this."

And here is what this means. There's no special definition of "means." It's defining and explaining the term.

Are you saying that reprisal from third parties means the entire rest of our local group?
It seems to me that "this means" should be "this means the one from".
What do I misunderstand?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you saying that reprisal from third parties means the entire rest of our local group?
It seems to me that "this means" should be "this means the one from".
"This" refers to "third parties".

Frequently, this ("third parties") means "the entire rest of our local group, or at least a majority of it".

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"This" refers to "third parties".

Frequently, this ("third parties") means "the entire rest of our local group, or at least a majority of it".

I wonder why "this" is used instead of "these" to refer to "third parties". Is it correct English?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wonder why "this" is used instead of "these" to refer to "third parties". Is it correct English?

You could read my posts.

It isn't referring to "third parties." It is referring to "reprisal from third parties." One thing. Reprisal.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You could read my posts.

It isn't referring to "third parties." It is referring to "reprisal from third parties." One thing. Reprisal.

The sentence "reprisal from third parties means the entire rest of our local group" doesn't make sense. I think that "this means the entire rest of our local group" should be "this means reprisal from the entire rest of our local group". What do you say?