Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Dear teachers,

Would you please correct my exercise ?

Rewrite the following sentences using a genitive case where possible.

1. I have found an egg laid by a bird. => I have found a bird's egg.

2. The only cinema in town has closed down.

3. It takes me about three hours to drive to London. => It takes me about a three hours' drive OR a three-hour drive to (get/go ?) London.

4. Tom had an argument with one of my sister’s friends. => Tom had an argument with a friend of my sister’s.

5. I have never visited the house of Mr & Mrs Brady. => I have never visited Mr & Mrs Brady's house.

6. The victory of the French was a surprise.

7. He did not attend the meeting that took place last week. => He did not attend last week's meeting.

8. The adventures of Ulysses were incredible. => Ulysses' advebtures were incredible.

9. This is a game for children. => This is a children's game.

10. The Thatcher policy was very conservative. => (Mrs ?) Thatcher's policy was very conservative.

11. The business run by Mum and Dad is going well. => Mum and Dad’s business is going well.

Thank you for your help and wish you all the best.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

3. It takes me about three hours to drive to London. => It takes me about a three hours' drive OR a three-hour drive to (get/go ?) London.

4. Tom had an argument with one of my sister’s friends. => Tom had an argument with a friend of my sister’s.

5. I have never visited the house of Mr & Mrs Brady. => I have never visited Mr & Mrs Brady's house.

7. He did not attend the meeting that took place last week. => He did not attend last week's meeting.

8. The adventures of Ulysses were incredible. => Ulysses' advebtures were incredible.

10. The Thatcher policy was very conservative. => (Mrs ?) Thatcher's policy was very conservative.

11. The business run by Mum and Dad is going well. => Mum and Dad’s business is going well.

This sounds like a homework exercise. Is it?

hela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Hello MikeNewYork,

No, it's not a homework. I found the exercise on the net and I wanted somebody to tell me if I did it right. If you google it, you'll find it. Unfortunately, the answers did not come with it.

I wish you a very happy new year and I thank you again for all the help you give us all.
Best regards

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers,

Your answers are all correct. In #6 the possessive cannot be used. Understanding that, how would you rewrite it?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2: The town's only cinema has closed.

hela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Good evening Barb,

Is it possible to use the genitive with an inanimate object -all the more so as "town" is not a proper noun ? I understand that it is possible to say something like "Eaton's only cinema has closed" but what about "town"?

Bhaisahab,

For #6 it seems that I can't use a compound either this is why I left it unchanged. If I wrote "the French victory" it would mean that the victory is French, wouldn't it ?

I wish you all the very best for the coming year.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good evening Barb,

Is it possible to use the genitive with an inanimate object -all the more so as "town" is not a proper noun ? I understand that it is possible to say something like "Eaton's only cinema has closed" but what about "town"?

Bhaisahab,

For #6 it seems that I can't use a compound either this is why I left it unchanged. If I wrote "the French victory" it would mean that the victory is French, wouldn't it ?

I wish you all the very best for the coming year.

Yes, it is fine to use the genitive with some entities: city, town, village, state, nation, etc.

"French victory" is also fine. It is not a genitive; it uses French as an adjective.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good evening Barb,

Do you think I would take the time to post a deliberately wrong or misleading answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.