Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi all,

If I say, "I got involved in a crime", could it mean both "I committed a crime" and "I became a victim of a crime", depending on the context?

OP

Last edited:
I would assume you had committed it, either on purpose or because you had somehow ended up getting caught up in something unexpectedly.

I wouldn't use it for being a victim.

Hi all,

So, what about a car accident?

If you, or your car, were hit by a car that ignored the light, would you say, "I got (was) involved in a car accident"?

Or would you say so only when you're responsible for the accident?

OP

There's no assumption that you were responsible with "I was involved in a car accident" (I wouldn't use "I got involved in ..." there). It simply means that there was a car accident and you were caught up in it in some way. If the accident were definitely my fault (although it's not usually a good idea to admit that!), I'd say "I caused a car accident".

Don't forget that there are words in English which have one meaning in one context and a different meaning in another context. Sometimes, you just have to learn those differences.

If you, or your car, were hit by a car that ignored the light, would you say, "I got (was) involved in a car accident"?

I wouldn't use this when trying to explain who was responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back