Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the expression "get me out of your system", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

“The truth is this. And I’m not the only one who says it. The sooth-sayer woman said it too. I care for you. Call it what you will—love, if it pleases you. You, however, just want to get me out of your system, and if mistaking this for love helps you, you’ll call it love. I want you in my system, not out. I know what I want from you and I know what I have to give for it. You haven’t got the foggiest idea what you want and certainly not what you’re ready to offer. You haven’t thought that far, because your mind isn’t really interested—your ego, yes, and your body, maybe, but the rest of you, not a clue. All you’ve been giving me so far is the hurt, sorry puppy face and the same unasked question in your gaze each time there’s a pause between us. You think it’s love. It’s not. What I have is real and it’s not going away. That’s what I have to say. Now can I go?”

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Sixth Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now, Clara is talking to the protagonist.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
I learned in the dictionary that "system" can mean one's body... But then I am not sure whether this part really means that he wants to get Clara out of his body, so I just wanted to ask you. o_O

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you get somebody out of your system you stop thinking about that person much. You stop being concerned about them. You stop keeping company with them. You don't call them on the phone. They are no longer a part of your life.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So "get out of one's system" means to stop concerning about them!
It probably is an idiomatic expression, I guess. :)

But then, this is just my small question, but would "system" here mean "body", so as to mean that someone wants the other person to be driven out of their body (brain)...?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. I guess you could say it's another way of telling the person they don't want to have a relationship anymore. In other words, "Don't bother me!"

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel,

Then I guess "system" might mean one's "surroundings", that someone wants the other person to go out of their periphery/area.
I truly appreciate your help. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. If I have to have another word for "system" it would be "self".

Have you heard of the law of diminishing returns?

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel,

So "system" would be similar to "self"!

Have you heard of the law of diminishing returns?
Reading your explanation, I looked it up now! Though I couldn't be sure how it is related to this context... o_O

I sincerely appreciate your help, as always. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My point is that the more you analyze something the less benefit you get from it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The analogy is to something that is in your body's systems. Like a virus, or a drug. It's in your body. It will affect your body. But eventually, it will exit the body. It will have run its course. It has passed through your system.

When someone has a fascination with a person, they have to experience them. But there's no basis for a long lasting relationship. It's just something that has to run its course.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You, however, just want to get me out of your system,
I agree with the others. She's saying, "You just want to get over me/You just want to make sure I don't affect you anymore".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.