Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

From the book Choose Your Story, Change Your Life by Kindra Hall.

But there’s a lot about the job he doesn’t love— the two biggest things being the small-minded, micromanaging nature of the leadership, and that his talents aren’t fully utilized. He feels he has so much capacity that will never be recognized at the company...

The question is, then, why doesn’t he leave? Why not apply somewhere else or start something of his own?...

The next logical question anyone might ask, one that he certainly has asked himself, is: Would it be worth it? Sure, it’s less pay, but it’s also less agony and potentially more joy and fulfillment. And if it goes well, couldn’t it mean more pay at some point? And even if it is less pay, can he afford less money to get more lifestyle? It’s a compromise many make, after all.

Does "get more lifestyle" mean get/have more free time?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
better (quality of) life/better work-life balance

I don't think it is appropriate to use "lifestyle" as a countable noun in the context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That doesn't make sense to me. It makes it sound as if "lifestyle" refers only to nice/fun things one does outside of work.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is an odd use of the word lifestyle. I wonder if Kindra Hall has made it up herself or whether it's becoming common usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.