Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it right to say:’‘ I will give him the boot from the company." or " I will get him the boot from the company." ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'I'll give him the boot" is very casual, but possible. "From the company" is not necessary. Context will make this clear.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it right to say no colon here "I will give him the boot from the company no full stop here" or "I will get him the boot from the company no full stop here"?
Note my corrections above. There was no need for a colon. Don't put a space after opening quotation marks. Don't use a full stop at the end of a quoted sentence if the surrounding sentence continues after the closing quotation marks.

"I will give him the boot" could be said only by someone with the ability to fire someone.
"I will get him the boot" could be said by someone who is going to arrange for someone else to be fired.

In what context do you want to say these sentences?

Curiosity2022

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my corrections above. There was no need for a colon. Don't put a space after opening quotation marks. Don't use a full stop at the end of a quoted sentence if the surrounding sentence continues after the closing quotation marks.

"I will give him the boot" could be said only by someone with the ability to fire someone.
"I will get him the boot" could be said by someone who is going to arrange for someone else to be fired.

In what context do you want to say these sentences?
Thank you very much for your correction,I didn't notice it before and know that both "give sb the boot" and "get sb the boot" have a quite different meaning.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much for your corrections. I didn't know that before, but I now know that "give somebidy the boot" and "get somebody the boot" have quite different meanings.
Well, they're not radically different, but they are different.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for your corrections. I didn't notice it before and but now I know that both "give sb somebody the boot" and "get sb somebody the boot" have a quite different meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.