[General] ha = hectares. Is it correct to read it as 'HA'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiddler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How would you say/read: 'over 1 ha/h'?
'Over one hectare per hour' - it's obvious.
But is 'over one HA per hour' also acceptable? Would any Englishman ever use this form?

I just received recording of some text from a native english speaker, and after hearing 'one HA per hour' I'm a bit confused. It sounds quite odd to me, a foreigner with basic language skills.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How would you say/read: 'over 1 ha/h'?
'Over one hectare per hour' - it's obvious.
But is 'over one HA per hour' also acceptable? Would any Englishman ever use this form?
No. Was the speaker in the recording American? If so, it's quite possible he didn't know that "ha" means hectare. We don't use Metric land measures here in the United States, and most people are unaware of the units' names.

fiddler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not sure, but he sounds like 100% Brit...
Maybe he just doesn't know, wherever he lives.
Now I can contact him without doubts in my head (like 'what about commonly used HP = horse power? It looks similar, but on the other hand it's probably different kind of abbreviation...').

Thank you!

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I just received a recording of some text from a native English speaker, and after hearing 'one HA per hour', I'm a bit confused. It sounds quite odd to me, a foreigner with basic English language skills.
Welcome to the forum, fiddler. :)
Is it possible to listen to the recording?
You can upload it to Vocaroo and post the link below if you like.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The voice is definitely British. When you wrote "HA", I read it as the word "ha", not the initials. I have a feeling the excerpt comes from a text-to-voice system, as a human British English-speaker would know the abbreviation and be very unlikely to pronounce the letters individually.

fiddler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

fiddler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No. I'm just showing you how it was written.
nvm

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. I'm just showing you how it was written.
There shouldn't be spaces around the slash. Nevertheless, any native speaker familiar with the "ha" abbreviation would always read that as "hectares per hour". I strongly suspect your speech sample was machine-generated.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have a feeling the excerpt comes from a text-to-voice system, as a human British English-speaker would know the abbreviation and be very unlikely to pronounce the letters individually.

Maybe, but if so such systems have recently made great progress in natural intonation. It never ocurred to me that it might not be a real person speaking.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The voice is definitely British. When you wrote "HA", I read it as the word "ha", not the initials. I have a feeling the excerpt comes from a text-to-voice system, as a human British English-speaker would know the abbreviation and be very unlikely to pronounce the letters individually.

The clip is too short to be sure but it does sound a little like synthesised speech to me. I would also expect that any human BrE speaker would read "ha" as hectares. not as "aitch a".

fiddler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Indeed, this short part sounds a bit artificial, but only because individual letters are read. Really. The rest of the recording is even too 'real'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.