Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
It could scarce be said to better my position, but the step quieted the woman; and, on the other hand, I could not think I was taking much risk, for the shares in question (they were those of what I will call the Catamount Silver Mine) had fallen some time before to the bed-rock quotation, and now lay perfectly inert, or were only kicked (like other waste-paper) about the kennel of the exchange by bankrupt speculators.

(The Wrecker by R. L. Stevenson and L. Osbourne, chapter vii, published 1892)

Maybe that's something for brokers. Is bedrock quotation a set phrase in stock exchange parlance? Please what does it exactly mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't say if it's a fixed expression, but I think not. Understand "bedrock" here to be the lowest possible level. The stocks were basically worthless.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Dave. I don't think it's a fixed financial expression. It's just a variation on 'hit rock bottom'.

You could use these expressions to refer to any number of things that were at a very low point, not just stocks - emotions, morale, attendance, account balances, public favor, and more.

Note too that it's a bit of word play. These are stocks in a mining operation, so there's a certain irony in referring to bedrock. It's almost a pun.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Note too that it's a bit of word play. These are stocks in a mining operation, so there's a certain irony in referring to bedrock. It's almost a pun.
Yes, thank you very much. Fine you pointed out this aspect. Bedrock even seems to have a geological meaning.

Last edited: