Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Which sentence is correct? I think the first one is correct, but my English teacher said the second one was the correct answer. It makes me think so hard to choose which tense is better...

1. Someone was sick. He (has become) better and the doctor say says he will leave the hospital soon. < He has become shows that he had time to recover to get better, shouldn't this sound more logical?
2. Someone was sick. He (becomes) better and the doctor say says he will leave the hospital soon. < It actually also sounds correct to me, but this one sounds all of a sudden to me... (He suddenly becomes better?)

If I had another option, I would probably say "He is getting better and the doctor say says he will leave or can leave the hospital soon."

Any help would be well appreciated.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
#1 is correct, though I'd use got rather than become.
If I had another option, I would probably say "He is getting better and the doctor say he will leave or can leave the hospital soon."
That is good, though we wouldn't use an article before hospital in BrE.

VinMT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
#1 is correct, though I'd use got rather than become.

That is good, though we wouldn't use an article before hospital in BrE.
Thanks for your reply, 5jj. Could you explain why the second one is incorrect or is not the best answer?
Good reminder of "the" hospital... It reminds me without "the" before hospital in BrE but with "the" before hospital in AmE.