Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Monica caters a party for her mother, but the mini-quiches are effectively ruined when one of her false fingernails gets lost in one. Judy then reveals that she expected Monica to mess up so she bought frozen lasagnas as back-up. Monica, upset that her mother has never had faith in her, whips up delicious dishes at the last minute to prove her mother wrong. Judy ultimately gets impressed and the two reconcile."
(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends_(season_4))

Does 'effectively' mean 'actually' here?

Can I use 'that her mother has never believed in her' instead of 'that her mother has never had faith in her' without changing the meaning here?

What does 'gets impressed' mean here? Does it mean Judy likes Monica's delicious dishes?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The use of the word "effectively" tells us that's the effect.

Yes, you could say she didn't believe in her.

Yes, it means Judy likes Monica's delicious dishes.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
'Monica caters a party for her mother, but the mini-quiches are effectively ruined'

I still can't understand what effectively ruined mean?

You want to impress a girl. Does it mean you want to make the girl admire you and respect you or you just want to make the girl like you? Which meaning is correct?

Do 'I have faith in you' and 'I believe in you' both mean I know you can do it successfully?

Are the two expressions usually used in daily conversation?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
'Monica caters a party for her mother, but the mini-quiches are effectively ruined'
I still can't understand what effectively ruined mean?
The false fingernail fell into one (not all) of the mini-quiches. However, because they don't know which one, all those quiches can be considered as ruined. Here, "effectively" means "as a result".
Take a look at the second entry in the link below.
You want to impress a girl. Does it mean you want to make the girl admire you and respect you or you just want to make the girl like you? Which meaning is correct?
It could mean either. It depends on the context.
Do 'I have faith in you' and 'I believe in you' both mean I know you can do it successfully?
They can mean that, yes.
I wouldn't say in "daily conversations", but they work in the right context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Monica caters a party for her mother, but the mini-quiches are effectively ruined.'
Remember to include closing punctuation.
I still can't understand what "effectively ruined" means?
Always mark out words you're asking about. I've put them in quotation marks. You could put them in italics.
You simply want her to be impressed by you. Whether she admires, respects or likes you as a result is unknown.
It means you believe the person can do it successfully. You don't know it for certain because they haven't done it yet.
Daily conversation? Probably not, but they're both common and natural.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do you mean we don't use them in conversation? Are they used in formal writing or speaking? Do we have another way to use to express the same meaning in conversation?

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you want to please someone , can I use 'impress' to mean the same thing as 'please' here? For example,

"I only got married to please my parents."
(from Cambridge Dictionary)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to please someone , can I use 'impress' to mean the same thing as 'please' here? For example,

"I only got married to please my parents."
(from Cambridge Dictionary)
No.

If you get married to please your parents, it means that you didn't really want to get married but they were desperate for you to do so. You literally only did it so that they'd stop hassling you about it. It wouldn't matter who you married.

If you get married to impress your parents, then your choice of spouse would probably be what impressed them. If they're particularly shallow, maybe they'd be impressed by you marrying someone rich or beautiful/handsome. If they've got a bit more going on between the ears, maybe they'd be impressed by you marrying someone who does a lot of charity work or who insists on taking on 50% of the household chores and the childcare.

The two words are definitely not interchangeable in this context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
According to Google Translate:

I got married to please my parents = 我結婚是為了取悅父母

I got married to impress my parents = 我結婚是為了給父母留下好印象

I don't read Chinese but they look pretty different to me!

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States

teechar said:
Do you mean we don't use them in conversation? Are they used in formal writing or speaking? Do we have another way to use to express the same meaning in conversation?
They are used in conversations, just not so often that we say them every day. Think about it, how often do your friends or family run into something big, difficult, and/or challenging that you have to tell them "I have faith in you" as an encouragement when they are about to face it?

Examples from movies and TV shows:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-find?text=I have faith in you

Yes, they are used in formal writing or speaking.

I might say "You can do it."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I interject? ESL learners tend to have trouble knowing when to use an exclamation mark. Well, there's a perfect occasion. (See below.)

You can do it!
😊

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I got married to impress my parents = 我結婚是為了給父母留下好印象
If I translate from Chinese to English, I would say, "I got married to make a good impression on my parents."

Does 'I got married to impress my parents' mean the same as 'I got married to make a good impression on my parents'?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might want to make a good impression on somebody else's parents. For example, you want them to be happy you're dating their daughter. You might want to impress your own parents by doing something they didn't know you were capable of.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
You might want to make a good impression on somebody else's parents. For example, you want them to be happy you're dating their daughter. You might want to impress your own parents by doing something they didn't know you were capable of.
According to the quote above, 'make a good impression on someone' doesn't mean the same thing as 'to impress someone'. Do I think it correctly?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
According to the quote above, 'make a good impression on someone' doesn't mean the same thing as 'to impress someone'. Do I think it Have I understood it correctly?
They mean the same to me.