Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

Can anybody tell if the bold text refers strictly to his taking the money?

The minute he said that she had him right where she wanted him. But the way she managed it was masterful and, even now, in remembering it, I am moved to a grudging admiration of the way she carried it all off. “I see,” she remarked so casually that I barely caught the note of triumph in her voice. “Well, then, I suppose they’ll have called him by this time if there’s any need.”Rambouillet nodded. “Undoubtedly.” He turned to Anne and me. “I’m sorry, but there’s apparently nothing here for me to do. And since I didn’t come out in my own car, I’m afraid I’ll have to trouble you to run me back into town.”
We said we would and Anne went upstairs to get a coat. I offered the doctor a drink, which he declined, and forced him to accept three dollars, which he felt he hadn’t earned. A call was a call, I pointed out, and he Was entitled to a fee even if there had been no patient. He put the money in his pocket finally, with a wry smile. “A young doctor in this town,” he remarked, “has no right to refuse anything that comes his way.” We chatted quietly in that warm, agreeable kitchen, hardly aware of Mrs Walters as she went about the room. And yet, it crossed my mind once or twice that she looked more attractive than she had in the morning. The lamplight was kind to her face and there was a touch of femininity about her dress that was welcome. I wondered idly why she had changed. Probably she’d got wet walking back in the rain after giving Mrs Marcy her umbrella.

William Sloane, Edge of Running Water, 1939.

Thank you.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A young doctor, being new, should be accomodating and just accept the token fee given, however little, and not expect a full fee for the visit.

That's not what the sentence means. The doctor is just getting established and has to bring in sufficient income to keep his practice afloat. He doesn't have the moral right to risk bankruptcy by refusing fees. Three dollars was more than a day's pay for many American workers in 1939; it was far from a token fee.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
GoesStation is right as always, but to answer the OP question directly: Yes, it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.