Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences correct?

1) Did you ever call me and I did not answer?

2) Have you ever called me and I did not answer?

No, though you might hear them in casual speech.

Did you ever call me and not get an answer?

Both original sentences are absolutely fine in BrE. The only thing I might change is "did not" to "didn't". We spend a lot of time reminding learners that native speakers use contractions more often than not.

Both original sentences are absolutely fine in BrE.
The sentences in post #1?

I daresay they might be used in casual speech, but are you saying they're correct and grammatical sentences?

Last edited:
The sentences in post #1?

I daresay they might be used in casual speech, but are you saying they're correct and grammatical sentences?
That's exactly what I'm saying.

They both work fine in AmE as well, although I'd similarly expect the contraction emsr2d2 mentioned.

I favor #2 for the present perfect since we're asking about a continued experience, but usage of the simple past for that kind of thing isn't uncommon either.

I'd want present perfect in both clauses:

Have you ever called me and I've not answered?

Well, I'm more likely to be wrong than you people are, but something about both the original sentences and Jutfrank's sounds odd to me. I feel the "Did you" and the "Have you" don't agree with "I didn't answer" and "I haven't answered". I don't know how to explain it in grammatical terms unfortunately.

Actually Jutfrank's rephrasing is starting to make sense.

Have you ever called me and [experienced that] I've not answered?

I still don't like it. :)

I think I know why you think it's a bit suspect, Barque. Your rephrasing in post #2 is superior.

You've got me thinking about this too. Let me ask you what you think of the following:

Did you ever call me when I didn't answer?
Have you ever called me when I haven't answered?

Do you think when is the right word in this context?

Let me ask you what you think of the following:

Did you ever call me when I didn't answer?
Have you ever called me when I haven't answered?

Do you think when is the right word in this context?
Both these sound wrong to me. They suggest that the calling happened after the not answering, if that makes sense.

If I wanted to use "when" in that context, I'd ask "Has there ever been a time when you've called me [that/and] I haven't answered?" Which is still a little wordy.

As far as the OP's originals are concerned, I'd prefer:

Did you ever call me and not get an answer?
Have you ever called me and not got an answer?

You've got me thinking about this too.
And ... ?

I'm curious. I've turned out to be wrong on most occasions that I've disagreed with a Britisher or an American but on this occasion I really think I have a point. :)

I was trying to use a single word to describe a person from the UK. :) Looks like there's none.

And ... ?

I'm trying to compare:

a) Have you ever called me and not got an answer?
b) Have you ever called me and I haven't answered?

They're both nice and natural for me, and they mean the same thing, but they're quite different structurally. I'm trying to work out is there's anything interesting in this difference.

I've turned out to be wrong on most occasions that I've disagreed with a Britisher or an American but on this occasion I really think I have a point. :)

Can you say a bit more about why sentence b) sounds odd? As it sounds fine to me, I'd have assumed it sounds okay to everyone. Does it actually sound wrong to you?

My point is that "Have you" matches with "[have you] not got". But it doesn't match with "I haven't". The subject (if that's the right term, I'm really not sure) is different.

The "I haven't answered" part is a reaction to "Have you called" and not a separate action.

Okay, let me ask you something.

Have you ever asked him something and he refused?
Have you ever asked him something and been refused?

Which do you prefer?

But it is separate.

Okay, let me ask you something.

Have you ever asked him something and he refused to answer/to respond?
Have you ever asked him something and been refused an answer/a response?

Which do you prefer?
Neither was correct as you can see from my changes above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back