[Grammar] He recommended ME A GOOD LAWYER/A GOOD LAWYER to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is not my homework.

Which of the following is correct and if both are correct ,do they have same meaning?

He recommended me a good lawyer.
He recommended a good lawyer to me.

Thank you in advance for replying.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
They are both OK and mean the same.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Sahil Dhankhar:

You have already received the answer, but I only wanted to add a few ideas that I believe are reasonably accurate.

If you come to the United States, I suggest that you use one of these questions:

1. Can you recommend a good hotel?

2. Can you recommend a good hotel to me?

3. Can you recommend to me a good hotel? (You will find that many reputable writers use this kind of question. Some Americans, however, may not be entirely comfortable with it. Personally, I am.)

I know that this is 2015, but I sincerely feel that most Americans still are NOT comfortable with: "Can you recommend me a good hotel?"

Some books classify "recommend" along with such verbs as "suggest." Of course, NO one would ever say "Can you suggest me a good hotel?"

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Bhai Sahab, this sentence, in my opinion, is also correct and has the different meaning:- He recommended me to a good lawyer. (may be for the post of assistant of the lawyer) that is why I thought that he recommended me a good lawyer is somewhat less correct and as one other member said he recommended to me a good lawyer will be correct seems fine.
What do you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.