He sees a basket of corn, with a thick cloth on top.

HobbyFaisal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Would you please tell me how you would parse the following sentence

He(subject) sees(verb) a(article) basket(object) of(preposition) corn(object of preposition)( function as adjective reply of which basket ) with(preposition) a(art) thick(adj) cloth(obj of pre) on
(pre) top(object of preposition)

i don't know why comma is used in sentence and what is function of prepositional phrase (with a thick cloth) and (on top). what is the meaning of preposition with.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need a question mark at the end of the first sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you please tell me how you would parse the following sentence?

He space (subject) sees space (verb) a space (article) basket space (object) of space (preposition) corn space (object of preposition) space (functions as an adjective reply of describing which basket) with space (preposition) a space (article) thick space (adjective) cloth space (object of preposition) on (preposition) top space (object of preposition).

I
don't know why a comma is used in the/that sentence and or what is the function of the prepositional phrases "with a thick cloth" and "on top" are. What is the meaning of the preposition "with"?
I'm no parsing expert so I won't try to answer your queries. However, please note my corrections and markups above. Remember to always put a space before an opening bracket. End every sentence with an appropriate closing punctuation mark. You need to work on your use of articles.

Also note that I have moved your thread to the more appropriate "Analysing and Diagramming Sentences" sub-forum.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

. . . i don't know why comma is used in sentence and what is function of prepositional phrase (with a thick cloth) and (on top). what is the meaning of preposition with.
"With," which indicates the having of something, introduces the second of two prepositional phrases modifying "basket." He sees a basket of corn. It is a basket with a thick cloth on top.

The comma helps to clarify that the "with"-phrase does not modify "corn," the noun to "with"'s immediate left. It is not the corn, but the basket containing it, that has a thick cloth on top.

Because this thread is in the Analysing and Diagramming Sentences subforum, I have taken the liberty of drawing a diagram of the sentence (in the 1889 diagramming style of Alonzo Reed and Brainerd Kellogg). Please let me know if you need help understanding the diagram.

He sees a basket of corn.JPG