Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Is the pronoun He, solely used for males? Could you ever use it for the genderless or the anonymous?

Welcome to the forum, Times09. :)

Is the pronoun "he" [no comma here] solely used for males? No. You can use it for females who identify* as males.

Could you ever use it for the genderless or the anonymous? No. Use "they" for those.
* [click]

What a wonderful age we live in! :roll:

Last edited:
Is the pronoun He, solely used for males? Could you ever use it for the genderless or the anonymous?

In the past, it was used for the genderless or anonymous. However, this usage is viewed with disfavour by many, though it still has its supporters. I use they for these cases, a usage which can be found in literature of earlier centuries.

But that disfavor didn’t stem from feminists?, I’m questioning this because someone claimed it was some feminist agenda.

Please refrain from bringing up lgbt, this is the English language no one cares about trans pronouns.

But didn't that disfavor [STRIKE]didn’t[/STRIKE] stem from feminists? no comma here I’m questioning this because someone claimed it was some feminist agenda.

You won't find a definitive answer to this question. No doubt there are some political agendas that favour/disfavour certain language use but there's also simply the idea of equality.

Please refrain from bringing up [STRIKE]lgbt[/STRIKE] LGBT. This is the English language. No one cares about trans pronouns.

Please don't make such sweeping generalisations. The use of pronouns is a huge part of our evolving language and many people care about their use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back