[Vocabulary] He "wristed" the ball over the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The link you posted leads to a page that's all in Chinese and clicking the "Translate" button results in an error message. If the piece is about tennis, it means that the person flicked the ball over the net using just the wrist to move the racquet. Most tennis strokes use the whole arm, shoulder and back, with the power coming mainly from the legs. If you want the ball to just go over the net, with the ball moving a very short distance, and you were standing quite close to the net, you would just use your wrist to get the racquet to make contact with the ball and just tip it over to the other side, making it harder for your opponent to reach. This is usually called a drop shot.

That link doesn't tell us what sport they're talking about.

The only other sport that makes sense to me is volleyball, in which you can hit the ball either with the flat of your palms or with your wrists (or possibly with your fists, I'm not sure).

Please give us more context (not another link - just tell us which sport this is about).

He wristed the ball over the net no full stop here (tennis commentator).

My response in post 2 is what you need, then.

Note my corrections above. As in the link you provided, put the quote in italics (or in quotation marks). Don't put a space after an opening bracket or before a closing bracket. The closing punctuation mark should go after the brackets.

My instant thought on reading this sentence was of volleyball, and that he struck the ball with his wrist.

This is a great example of how meaning comes from context.

A wrist shot (and a net) could also be ice hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back