English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
I want to say something like "I am attending a university and I often hear my classmates complaining about their courses or teachers", but I am not sure of the part of "complaining about...". What is the difference between "hear sb. complain" and "hear sb. complaining" if both are correct expressions? Or is one of the two wrong in this context?
Thanks a lot.
Richard

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,
I want to say something like "I am attending a university and I often hear my classmates complaining about their courses or teachers", but I am not sure of the part of "complaining about...". What is the difference between "hear sb. complain" and "hear sb. complaining" if both are correct expressions? Or is one of the two wrong in this context?
Thanks a lot.
Richard
In most of these cases where you heard or saw something happen/happening, the meaning is the same. In this case, they're both correct, and mean the same. However, the continuous form sometimes suggests that something is ongoing.
"I saw him running away" might tend to suggest that you saw him for longer than "I saw him run away" - but not necessarily.
"I felt something biting me"; "I felt something bite me". There could be a significant difference here. The first sentence suggests that the biting was progressive, not just a quick bite.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,
Thanks a lot.
Richard

There is no significant difference.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is no significant difference.
Thanks for your reply. Then, if you are in this writing or speaking situation, which is your spontaneous choice as a native speaker?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your reply. Then, if you are in this writing or speaking situation, which is your spontaneous choice as a native speaker?

It would depend on context. Certainly if the complaining is continuing, I would use the continuous.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In most of these cases where you heard or saw something happen/happening, the meaning is the same. In this case, they're both correct, and mean the same. However, the continuous form sometimes suggests that something is ongoing.
"I saw him running away" might tend to suggest that you saw him for longer than "I saw him run away" - but not necessarily.
"I felt something biting me"; "I felt something bite me". There could be a significant difference here. The first sentence suggests that the biting was progressive, not just a quick bite.
Thanks, Raymott.

I remember that when I was in high school, my English teacher told my class that "see somebody do something" is used to talk about a complete event or action while "see somebody doing something" emphasizes you happen to notice something. I can also get a similar explanation from my Collins COBUILD English Usage on p. 616: You can use an -ing form after saw or could see to indicate that someone was aware of something that was continuing to take place... You can use an infinitive without "to" after saw to indicate that someone was aware of a complete event or action. And four example sentences are given on this page as follows:

I saw Benjamin standing there patiently.
They could see the plances coming in over the fields.
He saw the tears come to her eyes.
I saw Bogeslavski get to his feet.

So, if you are in my writing or speaking situation, explained in my OP, which is your spontaneous response, "I often hear my classmates complaining about their courses or teachers" or "I often hear my classmates complain about their courses or teachers"? Thanks.

Richard

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So, if you are in my writing or speaking situation, explained in my OP, which is your spontaneous response, "I often hear my classmates complaining about their courses or teachers" or "I often hear my classmates complain about their courses or teachers"? Thanks.

Richard
As I said, my spontaneous response would be the same for those sentences. My spontaneous mind would not make a differentiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.