Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say a person's main motivation in life is home ownership. I've come up with a few sentences. Are they correct and natural?

1. Her overarching desire in life is home ownership and her career and personal life are oriented around that goal.
2. Her raison d'etre is home ownership. That is probably why she works 50 hours per week.
3. I think what makes her tick in life is owning a home and everything she does revolves around that.
4. What gets her out of bed every morning is the hope of owning her own house one day.

The phrase "home ownership" doesn't sound very natural in those sentences. If I heard someone saying "Her overarching desire in life/raison d'etre is home ownership", I'd wonder if they were mocking her and suggesting she was overly obsessed with it.

1. Her overarching desire in life is home ownership and her career and personal life are oriented around that goal.
2. Her raison d'etre is home ownership. That is probably why she works 50 hours per week.

I'd reword sentences 1 and 2:
The thing she wants most/All that she wants is to own her own house/home and everything she does is aimed towards that.
She works 50 hours a week because she wants her own house/home more than anything else.

3. I think what makes her tick in life is owning a home and everything she does revolves around that.
This sounds as if she already owns her home. I don't think that's what you mean because the other three imply she doesn't.

4. What gets her out of bed every morning is the hope of owning her own house one day.

This sort of sentence, referring to what gets a person out of bed every morning, usually goes with a person leading an unhappy life but who has an intense emotional reason driving them on, and wanting to own a home just doesn't sound such a reason. A sentence like "What gets her out of bed every morning is the knowledge that her child needs her" would sound more likely.

Last edited:
@alpacinou
1. That's perfectly good. You could also say: "Her main goal in life ...."

2. It's OK. (An American would probably say "fifty hours a week.")

3. I would say: "What makes her tick is owning her own home. Everything revolves around that.'

4. It's OK.

Back