Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This is given as advice to a person who is feeling depressed. Are the parts marked by asterisks idiomatic and correct? When talking about difficulties generally should I use "the difficulties" or "difficulties" and "our life" instead of "our lives"?

It's depressing when a person loses his desire to live *during life*. Instead of feeling depressed I would suggest finding a solution. Some people hope *for* success but don't do anything to reach it. We don't have problems because of *the* difficulties of our life/lives, but because of our mistakes. Life is worth living. It's better to enjoy our *lives/life.*

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is given as advice to a person who is feeling depressed.

It's depressing when a person loses his their desire to live. *during life*. Instead of feeling depressed, I would suggest finding a solution. Some people hope *for* success but don't do anything to reach obtain it. We don't have problems because of *the* difficulties of in our life/ lives, but because of our mistakes. Life is worth living. It's better to enjoy our *lives. /life.*

Are the parts marked by asterisks idiomatic and correct? When talking about difficulties generally, should I use "the difficulties" or "difficulties" and "our life" instead of "our lives"?
We can't lose our desire to live once we're dead so "during life" is unnecessary.
"Instead of feeling depressed, I suggest finding a solution" is ambiguous. It could mean both "Instead of you feeling depressed, I suggest ..." or "Instead of feeling depressed myself, I suggest ...". Try to reword it.
Even though each person has just one life, I would use "lives" when you precede it with "our".

Note that I have changed the layout of your post. The advice should come immediately after the sentence starting "This is given as advice ...". Your question should come after the text because we need to read the text before seeing the question.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
We can't lose our desire to live once we're dead so "during life" is unnecessary.
"Instead of feeling depressed, I suggest finding a solution" is ambiguous. It could mean both "Instead of you feeling depressed, I suggest ..." or "Instead of feeling depressed myself, I suggest ...". Try to reword it.
Even though each person has just one life, I would use "lives" when you precede it with "our".

Note that I have changed the layout of your post. The advice should come immediately after the sentence starting "This is given as advice ...". Your question should come after the text because we need to read the text before seeing the question.
Why is "their" preferred?
It's depressing when a person loses his their desire to live.
Do you mean "hope for" and "the difficulties" are correct?
Some people hope *for* success but don't do anything to reach obtain it. We don't have problems because of *the* difficulties of in our life/ lives, but because of our mistakes. Life is worth living. It's better to enjoy our *lives. /life.*

Status
Not open for further replies.