[Grammar] His boyish good looks is or are ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
1) His boyish good looks is/are an envy of many of friends.

2) His boyish good looks comes/come from the inheritance of his father's genes.

For the above 2 sentences, I hope an English teacher or a native speaker of English could tell me if I should use "is" or "are" for somebody's good looks.

For my last question, please consider the sentence, "He put on weighthttp://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/weight and started to lose his looks." The noun word "looks" in plural form which usually refers to people's physical appearance, can I use it to refer to an object's physical appearance as in this example: "He has bought a new watch and its looks is horrible." Is the sentence grammatically correct?

Thank you in advance for any advice from you all. I'll appreciate a lot. :-D

Plural. We don't say "good looks is".

Note the correct expression:

His boyish good looks are the envy of many of his friends.

Your final sentence is ungrammatical. It's more natural to say "He has bought a new watch and it looks horrible."

can I use it to refer to an object's physical appearance as in this example: "He has bought a new watch and its looks is horrible."

This doesn't work, and switching the verb to the plural won't really fix it.

This doesn't work, and switching the verb to the plural won't really fix it.

Hi Tdol, thanks for the response. Do u mean that the noun "looks" which refers to someone's physical appearance, cannot be used likewise for an object's appearance? Just want to be sure about it. Thanks. ;-)

Thanks to emsr2d2 and Rover_KE for your response. I appreciate your replies.

Do u mean that the noun "looks" ... cannot be used likewise for an object's appearance?
'The area has a very seedy look to it.'── quoted from http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/look_2
So I think it is possible to say 'His new watch has a horrible look to it'.

Not a teacher.

Thanks to emsr2d2 and Rover_KE for your response. I appreciate your replies.
Clicking on the 'Thank' button can obviate the need for a new post saying 'Thanks', such is one of the many unwritten rules on this forum.

Hi Tdol, thanks for the response. Do u mean that the noun "looks" which refers to someone's physical appearance, cannot be used likewise for an object's appearance? Just want to be sure about it. Thanks. ;-)

I think that look is mostly used for appearances that can be changed- a person can change their image, and Matthew's example of an area is the same. A watch is fixed and doesn't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back