Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This Chinese guy claims to teach most natural English: Don't say "hold/have a party", saying "throw a party" to avoid Americans laughing at you because you sound like a hick.

I used to say "hold a party" and so I am wondering whether it is true that saying "hold a party" would sound less educated like a redneck in the ear of Americans.

The original Chinese text: 美剧英语|“开派对”还用“hold/have a party”? 别怪老美说你老土
我们开个派对吧. 非常地道的口语表达。. “开”派对不用 have, hold或arrange动词,而是用'throw". throw a party 可以指“举行派对,晚宴,宴会,酒会”.

I've checked out online and found the explanation: throw a party (for someone) Fig.to have a party; to hold a party; to arrange a party. Bill threw a party for his sister before she went away to college. Things seem sort of dull. Let's throw a party.

It looks that the three are exchangeable and all sound natural. I am not very sure.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd throw/have a party. I'm not sure about whether you'd sound like a hick, and will leave that to AmE speakers to decide.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I think I've heard "A party was held [there]" but I wouldn't say "I held a party". It sounds a little old-fashioned to me. I'd use "threw" or "gave" or "had".

Cross-posted.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't worry about Americans laughing at you. As for "throw a party" that's probably the most common. As for the others, I think they are usually used in the third person. For example: "Bob had a party at his house."

I hope your teacher isn't trying to make you think Americans are rude. (To be sure, some are.)

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He's not my teacher. 🙂

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
The original Chinese text: 美剧英语 (American TV English)
"1 ....
- We are having/giving/throwing a party."

getyarn.io : This web site has clips from TV shows and movies. Type "have a party" in the search box and the results show plenty of valid clips from (current(*1)) American TV shows.

"Hold a party" on the other hand ... I only found a few.

(*1) You can further narrow down the search results by selecting an era from the "Decades" filter on the right.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't believe your source. He's completely inaccurate. Say what you want.

I doubt he even really knows what a redneck is if that's his idea of how one speaks.

Not everyone who professess to be an expert on the internet really is an expert, or even knows what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.