If you would be so kind as to hold my briefcase a minute, I can/could move this table.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
"If you would be so kind as to hold my briefcase a minute, I can/could move this table" - These are two answers to a task in the book "Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency". I believe COULD is the better option, while the answer sheet says CAN.

The task states - "Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it is as similar in meaning as possible to the sentence before it." The sentence that needs to be transformed is "Could you hold my briefcase a minute so I can move this table".

Which is better can or could?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wanted to say "could" at first, but the form is "If you do X then I can do Y." In other words, X has to happen before Y can happen.

In a practical sense, it's not logical. That is, if he needs to move the table he can set the briefcase on the floor first.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your answer of 'could' isn't strictly wrong but there's no need for it, since 'can' suffices, and minimal transformation is required for this kind of exercise.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following are all possible:

If you could hold my briefcase, I could move the table.
If you could hold my briefcase, I can move the table.
If you can hold my briefcase, I could move the table.
If you can hold my briefcase, I can move the table.

The most natural version, for me, would be:
If you hold my briefcase, I'll move the table.