That kind of colloquailism is narrowed only to very native people in that region.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to Chengdu, which is close to my city Chongqing, for traveling and I went to remote but picturesque village. The conversation took place between my friend and me.

Hook: How was your trip in Chengdu?
Silver: It was great; I went to a very beautiful village there. It's far away from the city center. People there are very old-fashioned. They almost don't use cell phones. Also, they grow food themselves. It's quite interesting.
Hook: Wow, that sounds great. How about the language there. Chongqing and Chengdu locals speak almost the same dialect. How about the people in that village?
Silver: I was about to tell you this. Yes, they speak something I don't understand. I could understand 70% of what they said. And some of their expressions were very diffcult to answer. You know. That kind of colloquailism is narrowed only to very native people in that region.
Hook: I see.

Is the italic sentence okay?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I believe it is another Chinese dialect. or sub-dialect.

How about:
The dialect is spoken only by the natives of that locality (and not elsewhere).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to Chengdu, which is close to my city Chongqing, for traveling to sightsee, and while I was there I went to visited a nearby remote but picturesque village. The following conversation took place between my friend and me.

Hook: How was your trip in Chengdu?
Silver: It was great; I went to a very beautiful village there. It's far away from the city center and the people there are very old-fashioned. they almost don't use cell phones. Hardly anyone has a cell phone. Also, they grow food themselves their own food. It's quite interesting.
Hook: Wow, that sounds great. How about the language there? Chongqing and Chengdu locals speak almost the same dialect; how about the people in that village?
Silver: I was about to tell you this about that. Yes, They do speak something a dialect I don't understand. but I could understand about 70% of what they said. And Some of their expressions were very difficult to answer. You know. That kind of colloquialism is narrowed only to very native people in that region.
Hook: I see.

Is the italic sentence okay?
Note my changes above. Two things:

1. We don't "answer" expressions. That's why I've underlined "answer". You need to reformulate that sentence because I don't know what you mean.
2. Your italic sentence doesn't work. However, there are lots of other ways to say it so why don't you see if you can come up with something clearer? Here's a hint - colloquialisms aren't narrowed.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

1. We don't "answer" expressions. That's why I've underlined "answer". You need to reformulate that sentence because I don't know what you mean.
2. Your italic sentence doesn't work. However, there are lots of other ways to say it so why don't you see if you can come up with something clearer. Here's a hint - colloquialisms aren't narrowed.
1) My correction of the sentence "Some of their conversations and expressions were hard to understand".

2) My new attempt of the italic sentence "That kind of colloquialisms might only be understood among themselves in that village".

Much appreciated!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Two further comments:
1- You're still consistently making comma-splice errors.
2- "almost" means "nearly". It DOES NOT mean "most".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two further comments:
1- You're still consistently making comma-splice errors.
2- "almost" means "nearly". It DOES NOT mean "most".
I already corrected those possible comma-splice errors in the OP.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
2) My new attempt of the italic sentence "That kind of colloquialisms might only be understood among themselves in that village".

2. Your italic sentence doesn't work. However, there are lots of other ways to say it so why don't you see if you can come up with something clearer. Here's a hint - colloquialisms aren't narrowed.
Much appreciated.

Could you please suggest one way of saying that?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please suggest one way of saying that?

I think I was pretty clear when I said ...

2. Your italic sentence doesn't work. However, there are lots of other ways to say it so why don't you see if you can come up with something clearer? Here's a hint - colloquialisms aren't narrowed.
Come on, Silver. We can't do all the work for you!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Come on, Silver. We can't do all the work for you!
I did it in #4 by changing some words in the sentence in the OP soon after I read your suggestions. I am always trying my best to answer my own questions. :)

The following is my new attempt at #4. Is it better now?

That kind of colloquialisms might only be understood among themselves in that village.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the new sentence in #4 isn't good, how about:

That kind of colloquialisms might only be understood among the people living in that village.

Since I could understand only a small part of what they were saying, I think both of this sentence and the one in #10 are okay.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the new sentence in #4 isn't good, how about:

That kind of colloquialisms might only be understood among the people living in that village.
That's okay, but I would remove "kind of" there. And take the "s" off of "colloquialisms". Also, you could say, "the people of that village".

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I think both this sentence and the one in #10 are okay.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot, Tarheel.

Could any BrE speaker help? I’m preparing for me C1 test and I hope I can hear from some BrE perspectives.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm quite a way from understanding the meaning. When you say 'colloquialisms', you mean dialect, I think. You're saying that the people in that village have their own unique dialect. Is that right?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm quite a way from understanding the meaning. When you say 'colloquialisms', you mean dialect, I think. You're saying that the people in that village have their own unique dialect. Is that right?
Yes. Only they can understand totally. I can understand a little bit of what they were saying so I think their colloquialisms only understandable to them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So you don't mean dialect? You're talking only about certain expressions they use?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot, Tarheel.

Could any BrE speaker help? I’m preparing for MY C1 test and I hope I can hear from some BrE perspectives.
What's the C1 test?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Only they can understand totally. I COULD understand ONLY a little bit of what they were saying so I think their colloquialisms ARE only understandable to them.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So you don't mean dialect? You're talking only about certain expressions they use?
No, actually their dialect is what they are using and part of it is close to my dialect. :)