Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What is the sense of the last question of the following paragraph?

Every day, just about. That’s right. We have meaningful conversations each and every day. That’s why I married her. We have intellectual parity and similar views.And they are similar, not identical. So when I have an insight that opposes her beliefs and vice versa, we can even have meaningful arguments. Like about deep stuff regarding the nature of the universe, not that petty, “I know you were looking at that woman the other day” kind of crap that I’ve had with less intelligent women I have been involved with.

Source: https://qr.ae/pKkG3n

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not a question and there's no question mark there.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's not a question and there's no question mark there.
Sorry. I have edited it a bit. I meant the sense of the last sentence.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Which part exactly do you not understand?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Which part exactly do you not understand?
Like about deep stuff regarding the nature of the universe, not that petty, “I know you were looking at that woman the other day” kind of crap that I’ve had with less intelligent women I have been involved with.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
we can even have meaningful arguments. Like about deep stuff regarding the nature of the universe, not that petty, “I know you were looking at that woman the other day” kind of crap that I’ve had with less intelligent women I have been involved with.

We can have civilized discussions, such as about (A), and not about that petty kind of stuff (for example B) that I've talked about with less intelligent previous female partners.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
We can have civilized discussions, such as about (A), and not about that petty kind of stuff (for example B) that I've talked about with less intelligent previous female partners.
Does “I know you were looking at that woman the other day” refer to an intelligent or less intelligent female partner? Is the context clear about this?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Does “I know you were looking at that woman the other day” refer to an intelligent or less intelligent female partner?
He's trying to say that that kind of talk is crass; therefore, he's referring to the "less-intelligent" woman (as he puts it).