How can I make my writing more interesting?

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
How can I write articles interestingly? Most of my friends think my English writing is boring and my articles are not convincing enough.
I want to work freelance writing articles and making YouTube videos. These days I save money in order to build a PC with a discrete video card for video editing.
I'm bored and tired of working in an office with abusive colleages as I am mentally ill.
I tried writing articles but they are dull and not long enough.
What should I do?
Do you know any YouTube channel teaching writing in English?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How can I write interesting articles? interestingly?
The most important thing is to write about subjects you're passionate about. It's hard to be interesting if you're not interested.
Most of my friends think my English writing is boring and my articles are not convincing enough.
Can you ask them for better feedback? What do they find boring? What are you trying to convince them of?
I want to work freelance writing articles and making YouTube videos.
That's a difficult area to get into. There's a lot of competition out there. I'm not saying you can't do it but you need to be realistic. If you're completely new to both areas, it could take a lot of work and time to get anywhere at all.
These days I'm currently saving money in order to build a PC with a discrete video card for video editing.

I'm bored and tired of working in an office with an abusive college colleague as I am mentally ill.
I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like an HR issue. Have you reported your colleague's abuse to your manager? What adjustments have the company made to your job, taking into account your mental health issues.
I tried writing some articles but they are dull and not long enough.
What were they about? What made them dull? Who said they weren't long enough? If you didn't have enough content, perhaps they weren't on subjects you're really interested in.
What should I do?
You could start by posting a short excerpt of your writing to this sub-forum and we can comment on the English.
Do you have any YouTube channel teaching writing in English?
UsingEnglish doesn't have any external sites. It's just this forum. Did you mean to ask if anyone here knows of any such sites?

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
The most important thing is to write about subjects you're passionate about. It's hard to be interesting if you're not interested.
I'm interested in books and video games and I tried writing articles about them.
Can you ask them for better feedback? What do they find boring? What are you trying to convince them of?
I wrote articles convincing them to play online games with me and read books I suggested.
That's a difficult area to get into. There's a lot of competition out there. I'm not saying you can't do it but you need to be realistic. If you're completely new to both areas, it could take a lot of work and time to get anywhere at all.
I will take TOEIC again and this time I try to score 990. ( In Thailand, we can take only listening and reading test.)
I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like an HR issue. Have you reported your colleague's abuse to your manager? What adjustments have the company made to your job, taking into account your mental health issues?
My manager just told me to ignore them. she did not do anything.
What were they about? What made them dull? Who said they weren't long enough? If you didn't have enough content, perhaps they weren't on subjects you're really interested in.
Video games and books
You could start by posting a short excerpt of your writing to this sub-forum and we can comment on the English.
Thank you
UsingEnglish doesn't have any external sites. It's just this forum. Did you mean to ask if anyone here knows of any such sites?
Yes

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@realpaoz You wrote the articles or you didn't. There's no "try" involved here.

Try: "I wrote articles trying to convince them to play online games with me and to read the books I suggested." (As you see, "trying" makes sense here.)

Say: "I will take the TOEIC again, and this time I'll try to score 990."

I have a suggestion for a subject for an essay.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think writing something to try and convince your own friends to play video games with you or take book suggestions from you classes as writing articles.
Try writing a piece about video games but imagine that your audience is people who have never played them before. Be passionate about your subject. Explain why you play, how it makes you feel, put in something about the different types of games (but don't fill it with jargon).

If you really want to work as a freelance writer, you need to find a niche - something that very few other people are writing about, and then write better than they do!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@realpaoz My post didn't get a like.

You write something that's interesting if you write something people are interested in.