How stupid is he to believe such nonsense?

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Which are correct?

1) How stupid is he to believe such nonsense?
2) How stupid should one be to believe such nonsense?

3) How stupid is he in order to believe such nonsense?
4) How stupid should one be in order to believe such nonsense?

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Should' sounds wrong to my ear. I'd expect 'must' if otherwise maintaining the original structure.

The most natural to my ear is 'does he/one have to be', or 'do you have to be' but that's changing the original structure a bit.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Should' sounds wrong to my ear. I'd expect 'must' if otherwise maintaining the original structure.

Although it's perfectly grammatical (which I think is what the OP is asking about), I agree that 'should' doesn't make good sense here, and is probably not what navi tasan means.

Navi, please make it clear what you're really asking. What do you mean by 'correct'? What are you trying to say? It's often very hard to understand what your questions are really about.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you both very much,

It is supposed to be a rhetorical question. The idea is that someone must be extremely stupid to believe that nonsense.

And, yes, you are correct. 'Should' doesn't work. It should be 'must'. I wasn't paying any attention to that because I was thinking about 'in order to'.

Gratefully,
Navi

PS. There was a typo in the question. I corrected it. The 'be' in '4' was in the wrong place.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In natural BrE, I'd say "How stupid does he have to be to believe that nonsense?!"