Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, body, good evening,
I'd like to know how can I express the feeling of a hug to a group or a person in a conversation/ post.
Maybe, great hug?
Or, great hugs?
Neither?
Thanks for your support.
Bye.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, [STRIKE]body, good evening,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary and I think you meant "everybody", not "body"!

I'd like to know how can I express the feeling of a hug to a group or a person in a conversation/post.

Maybe, great hug?
Or, great hugs?
Neither?
Thanks for your support.
[STRIKE]Bye[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

Do you mean a spoken conversation or in an email or online post? Why are you trying to convey this? Did you have a hug with the person earlier and you want to tell them that you enjoyed it? Or are you trying to use it to mean "I'm sending you a [virtual] hug"?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Maybe, great hug?

In my experience a more common collocation is "a big hug".
For example in phone calls:
"Tell the kids that I'll be home tomorrow and give them all a big hug from me".
"I'm very proud of what you've achieved, so a big hug and I'll speak to you later".

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I recall having read "humongous hug" even (in a James Patterson novel; Alex Cross - the main character - describes a hug by his daughter as "humongous").

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are myriad adjectives that could precede "hug".

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I know. It's just that I had never heard that adjective before; that's why I remember the collocation.

PS: Funny, though, about "myriad". I would have used it in the singular: "a myriad of adjectives". Could be a literal translation from Spanish, though.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know. It's just that I had never heard that adjective before; that's why I remember the collocation.

PS: Funny, though, about "myriad". I would have used it in the singular: "a myriad of adjectives". Could be a literal translation from Spanish, though.

Seeing "a myriad of" always jumps off the page at me. My grandfather (a stickler for these things) taught me when I was very, very young that it is incorrect. The definition of "myriad" is "a great many". Consequently, it would not be grammatical to follow it with "of".

There are myriad adjectives which would work. :tick:
There are a great many adjectives which would work. :tick:

There is a myriad of adjectives which would work. :cross:
There is a great many of adjectives which would work. :cross:

However, I am well aware that many dictionaries give "a myriad of possibilities" or similar as an example sentence. All I can say is that I find it much more natural and pleasant to use it on its own before a plural noun, without an "of".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Seeing "a myriad of" always jumps off the page at me. My grandfather (a stickler for these things) taught me when I was very, very young that it is incorrect. The definition of "myriad" is "a great many". Consequently, it would not be grammatical to follow it with "of".

There are myriad adjectives which would work. :tick:
There are a great many adjectives which would work. :tick:

There is a myriad of adjectives which would work. :cross:
There is a great many of adjectives which would work. :cross:

However, I am well aware that many dictionaries give "a myriad of possibilities" or similar as an example sentence. All I can say is that I find it much more natural and pleasant to use it on its own before a plural noun, without an "of".

I use it both ways (noun and adjective). Interestingly, according to this usage note, the noun use preceded the adjective use and was preferred for a long time: myriad - definition of myriad by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.