How to improve my English speaking ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiia4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
My English speaking ability is not really well, so I want to know the way to improve this ability. Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My English speaking ability is not really [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] good [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] and I want to know [STRIKE]the way[/STRIKE] how to improve it. [STRIKE]this ability.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Thank you![/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you by clicking on the Thank button.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note my corrections above.

How often do you speak to native English speakers? Do you take formal English classes? What level is your English? Do you watch (and understand) TV shows and films in English?

kokliang.xie

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia

How often do you speak to native English speakers? Do you take formal English classes? What level is your English? Do you watch (and understand) TV shows and films in English?

I could hardly speak to native English speakers because of my location. I don"t take any formal English classes so I'm not pretty sure about my English level. I do watch TV shows and films in English, but I can only understand maybe about 50% what they speak. What they speak is different from what I've learnt. What's the best thing to do to improve my listening and understanding to native English speakers?

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
My English speaking ability is not really well, so I want to know the way to improve this ability. Thank you!

You may want to look at specific pronunciation courses, (there are many on Youtube. Just search "English pronunciation course"). Pronunciation can be difficult for speakers of Chinese learning English (and for English students learning Chinese). Just 5 mins a day of repeat exercises will rapidly make a difference.

I would look for students who want to learn Chinese and share skype (or any conferencing software) sessions.

I'd also recommend as a possible source of materials https://learningenglish.voanews.com/ . They have quality materials based on current world activities. There are subtitles and voice overs at different speeds. Your speaking will improve the more you listen. And of course you can listen and then repeat. But the key thing is to find materials that are of interest and relevance to you. Generic course materials can easily kill your enthusiasm.

Saddened to see Taiwan in the news at the moment. My thoughts are with all involved.

I imagine you know much of this, but I hope there is something there that may prove useful.

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I could hardly speak to native English speakers because of my location. I don"t take any formal English classes so I'm not pretty sure about my English level. I do watch TV shows and films in English, but I can only understand maybe about 50% what they speak. What they speak is different from what I've learnt. What's the best thing to do to improve my listening and understanding to native English speakers?

Kokliang same applies as above but it is so much harder when isolated. Do have a look at VoA. And on the rare occasions you do meet English speakers do talk to them. They will welcome you trying to speak their language.

Again I stress that choosing materials that you find relevant and enjoyable is key.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] hardly ever get the opportunity to speak to native English speakers because of my location. I don"t take any formal English classes so I'm not [STRIKE]pretty[/STRIKE] sure about my English level. I do watch TV shows and films in English, but I can only understand [STRIKE]maybe[/STRIKE] about 50% of what they [STRIKE]speak[/STRIKE] say. [STRIKE]What they speak is different from what I've learnt.[/STRIKE] What's the best thing to do to improve my listening and understanding [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] of native English speakers?

It's a shame there aren't any opportunities to speak to native speakers. Most major cities have language exchange evenings that you can take advantage of but if you're not near a main town, maybe you don't have access to one.
Do you watch the TV shows and films with subtitles? If so, do you have the subtitles in your own language or in English?

chiia4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

I sometimes spoke to native English teachers in the English cram school before I entered into the college. I didn't take any formal English classes before so I'm not pretty sure about my English level. I sometimes watch films in English, but I don't know what the meanings are about some words.

Status
Not open for further replies.