How to make this sentence more academic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogergx

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am writing an article for publishing, and felt stuck in expressing the trend (peaking/surging) four times with similar expressions. I tried different ways of expression, but they may not sound professional. Could you help me with this?

When the breakpoint jumped from 900 m to 887 m, the microseismic energy jumped from 900 J to 1700 J and back to 700 J. When the breakpoint moved up from 887 m to 858 m, the microseismic energy surged from 2870 J to 13500 J and to 5460 J. When the breakpoint quickly rose from 851 m to 838 m, the microseismic energy showed another peak (8370 J to 10900 J and to 5000 J). When the breakpoint moved up again from 818.3 m to 811.7 m, the microseismic energy changed from 6190 J to 7450 J and back to 6540 J at the same time.

Is there a better, more academic way to express the peaking pattern?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think information involving a lot of numbers, in this case the two variables of breakpoint and seismic energy, are better presented in the form of graphs and tables, not words.

rogergx

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think information involving a lot of numbers, in this case the two variables of breakpoint and seismic energy, are better presented in the form of graphs and tables, not words.
Thank you for your suggestion. I do include a figure to illustrate the trend, but I still need to explain it in text. Hope to get more help from you and other members in this forum. Thanks again.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When the breakpoint jumped from 900 m to 887 m,
. When the breakpoint moved up from 887 m to 858 m,
When the breakpoint quickly rose from 851 m to 838 m,
. When the breakpoint moved up again from 818.3 m to 811.7 m

I know nothing about breakpoints, but it seems to me as if those figures are falling/moving down.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
when the breaking point dropped/fell...

Out of curiosity, how is the breaking point measured? It is hard to comment/make suggestions without some understanding of the process (something about earthquake/plate tectonics I presume).

Status
Not open for further replies.