Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello,
Is it corrct to say;

I am mix. My mother is French and my father is Khazakh.

"I am mix" isn't grammatical. You could say "I'm mixed race" or "I'm a mix of French and Khazakh" (although the latter loses the information about which parent is which).

"I am mix" isn't grammatical. You could say "I'm mixed race" or "I'm a mix of French and Khazakh" (although the latter loses the information about which parent is which).

I was also wondering if it should be a Khazakh or just Khazakh in my original sentence?

I was also wondering if it should be a Khazakh or just Khazakh in my original sentence?

You are using Khazakh as an adjective so you shouldn't use an article.

You are using Khazakh as an adjective so you shouldn't use an article.
I know this rule, but my dictionary says it can be used as a noun and as an adjective, that's why I was confused. :S

It wouldn't make sense to mix an adjective (French) with a noun (a Khazakh) in the same sentence. Be consistent.

My mother is a French woman and my father is a Khazakh.
My mother is French and my father is Khazakh. (This is more natural.)

a Khazakh = a Khazakh person
Khazakh = nationality/language/ethnicity/culture

If I use 'nationality' instead of 'race' would it be also correct?

Not in British English, no. "Nationality" refers specifically to what passport you hold. It's different in American English, I believe. If you happen to hold a French passport and a Khazakh passport, you would describe yourself as having dual nationality.

Mixed nationality wouldn't work in American English. You could say I hold dual citizenship if you're a citizen of two countries.

Not in British English, no. "Nationality" refers specifically to what passport you hold. It's different in American English, I believe. If you happen to hold a French passport and a Khazakh passport, you would describe yourself as having dual nationality.

I mean if I am talking about my ancestry in general.

I'd use "mixed race" or "mixed heritage".

You cannot use nationality. Nationality is a very different thing.

I don't think you should use race. This is rather ill-defined term. It is arguable whether there is a French race.

Use I'm of mixed heritage or I'm of mixed ancestry.

... or I'm of mixed parentage.

Apparently, you can call yourself a métis, but I'm not sure how many people would understand that, so I don't recommend it..

... or I'm of mixed parentage.

Apparently, you can call yourself a métis, but I'm not sure how many people would understand that, so I don't recommend it..

It has a specific meaning in Canada and should only be used there by people of mixed First Nations and European heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back