I am not sure whether I use "originated" or "originating".

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykang97

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, teachers.
Could you take a look at these two sentences?

Should I use 'originated' or 'originating'?
If #2 is right, is this sentence gramatically fine as it is or are there any errors?

Thank you ^^:-D

1. [The Santa Claus traditions] [originated from the Dutch folk tales] seem to be true.
verb

2. [The Santa Claus traditions] [originating from the Dutch folk tales] seem to be true.
verb

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"The Santa Claus traditions, originating from the Dutch folk tales, seem to be true." or
"The Santa Claus traditions, which originated from the Dutch folk tales, seem to be true."
These sentences are non-defining. I'm not sure if any Santa Claus traditions originated from elsewhere though.
I don't think traditions themselves can be true or false. The beliefs associated with the tradition can be. But there are other aspects of a tradition, such as rituals and fictional stories.
It's a tradition that Santa Claus delivers toys to children all over the world from a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer. So, I guess you want a defining, restrictive clause.
"The Santa Claus traditions which originated from the Dutch folk tales seem to be true. The beliefs associated with other Santa Claus traditions are blatantly false."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not certain what you are trying to say. If you are trying to say that it is true that the traditions originated in Dutch folk tales, you could say:

"That Santa Claus traditions had their origins in Dutch folk tales seems to be true."

Status
Not open for further replies.