I am open to learn and adapt to new challenges or I am open to learning and adapting to new challenges

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
I was wondering if using the present continuous tense for "learn" and "adapt" would be more suitable for this text?

I haven't worked in this field before, but I am open to learning and adapting to new challenges. I am confident in my ability to quickly acquire the necessary skills and knowledge in order to excel in this position.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not just more suitable but actually required.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I haven't worked in this field before, but I am open to learning and adapting to new challenges.
Those are not present continuous forms.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Are they gerunds?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I prefer to call them -ing forms.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Like many grammarians, I do not find the term gerund helpful.

Aarts, Bas (2011), Oxford Modern English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles. He refers to both as -ing participles.

Carter, Ronald and Michael McCarty (2006) Cambridge Grammar of English, do not differentiate between gerunds and participles. They refer to both as -ing forms.

Chalker, Sylvia (1984), Current English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles in the body of the book. She refers to both as -ing forms. She writes: A distinction is often made between gerunds ('verbal nouns') and participles, which are more like verbs or adjectives. In fact the -ing form cannot be quite so neatly divided.

Huddleston, Rodney and Geoffrey Pullum (2002), The Cambridge Grammar of the English language, write: [...] we reject an analysis that has gerund and participle as different forms syncretised throughout the class of verb We have therefore just one inflectional form of the verb marked by the -ing suffix; we label it with the compound term 'gerund-participle' .

Quirk, Randolph et al (1985), A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, note a complex gradience of fourteen different uses of -ing- forms from nouns (deverbal count nouns , abstract-non count verbal nouns), through the traditionally named gerund to the traditionally-named (present) participle. They write of the forms that are not clearly nouns, [...] we do not find it useful to distinguish a gerund from a participle, but terminologically class all these forms as PARTICIPLES.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why not call them gerunds?

I mostly call them '-ing forms' too. For a teacher, it's an opportunity to avoid terminology. No learner asks herself 'What's an '-ing form'?'

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A gerund is a noun, whereas "-ing form" could be a noun or a verb.

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
A gerund is a noun,
It functions like a noun in some ways, but it also functions like a verb - it can, for example, take a direct object.