I am open to learn and adapt to new challenges or I am open to learning and adapting to new challenges

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
I was wondering if using the present continuous tense for "learn" and "adapt" would be more suitable for this text?

I haven't worked in this field before, but I am open to learning and adapting to new challenges. I am confident in my ability to quickly acquire the necessary skills and knowledge in order to excel in this position.

Not just more suitable but actually required.

I haven't worked in this field before, but I am open to learning and adapting to new challenges.
Those are not present continuous forms.

Are they gerunds?

I prefer to call them -ing forms.

Like many grammarians, I do not find the term gerund helpful.

Aarts, Bas (2011), Oxford Modern English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles. He refers to both as -ing participles.

Carter, Ronald and Michael McCarty (2006) Cambridge Grammar of English, do not differentiate between gerunds and participles. They refer to both as -ing forms.

Chalker, Sylvia (1984), Current English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles in the body of the book. She refers to both as -ing forms. She writes: A distinction is often made between gerunds ('verbal nouns') and participles, which are more like verbs or adjectives. In fact the -ing form cannot be quite so neatly divided.

Huddleston, Rodney and Geoffrey Pullum (2002), The Cambridge Grammar of the English language, write: [...] we reject an analysis that has gerund and participle as different forms syncretised throughout the class of verb We have therefore just one inflectional form of the verb marked by the -ing suffix; we label it with the compound term 'gerund-participle' .

Quirk, Randolph et al (1985), A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, note a complex gradience of fourteen different uses of -ing- forms from nouns (deverbal count nouns , abstract-non count verbal nouns), through the traditionally named gerund to the traditionally-named (present) participle. They write of the forms that are not clearly nouns, [...] we do not find it useful to distinguish a gerund from a participle, but terminologically class all these forms as PARTICIPLES.

Why not call them gerunds?

I mostly call them '-ing forms' too. For a teacher, it's an opportunity to avoid terminology. No learner asks herself 'What's an '-ing form'?'

A gerund is a noun, whereas "-ing form" could be a noun or a verb.

Last edited:
A gerund is a noun,
It functions like a noun in some ways, but it also functions like a verb - it can, for example, take a direct object.

Back