Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I can't arrange the sentence. Can you help me?

1- I have booked a Joker (a movie) ticket for 10th of May.

I know I can say 'booked a movie ticket'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't arrange write the following sentence correctly. Can you help me?

1- I have booked a Joker (a movie) ticket for 10th of May.

I know I can say 'booked a movie ticket'.
I've booked a ticket for/to see The Joker for May 10th.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can't 'book' tickets. You buy tickets. Your ticket grants you entry and entitles you to a seat.

I've bought a ticket to see Joker on the tenth of May.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I book tickets on a regular basis.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I book tickets on a regular basis.

I don't think that makes sense. You can book a seat at a cinema, but you can't book a ticket.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can and I do!

Reactions: 5jj

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I use "book tickets" too but I see Jutfrank's point.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't think that makes sense. You can book a seat at a cinema, but you can't book a ticket.
Try this. ("Hello. I'd like to book five tickets in the stalls for Phantom of the Opera, please." (from 'Englisch In 30 Tagen' by Sonia Brough and Carolyn Wittmann))

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can and I do!
Try this. ("Hello. I'd like to book five tickets in the stalls for Phantom of the Opera, please." (from 'Englisch In 30 Tagen' by Sonia Brough and Carolyn Wittmann))

Look, I'm saying that I consider it wrong. I'm not denying that some people say it and I'm not telling native speakers what to say.

Surely you all understand my point? The buying of the ticket is the booking. You can't reserve a ticket—the ticket is evidence of the reservation.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes, I tend to agree. You book a seat at a cinema or on a flight or for a play by buying a ticket. You don't book the ticket. The ticket is what you get when you make a booking. Makes sense.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Look, I'm saying that I consider it wrong. I'm not denying that some people say it and I'm not telling native speakers what to say.

Surely you all understand my point? The buying of the ticket is the booking. You can't reserve a ticket—the ticket is evidence of the reservation.
Check out this discussion. ("I don't have a problem with 'book a ticket'. If I say "I've booked three tickets for Friday night's show", it's obvious that I'm talking about the seats that I've booked. The tickets represent the seats. It doesn't strike me as wrong or even sloppy. If it's good enough for the Oxford, Cambridge and Longman dictionaries, it's good enough for me. I think it's fine." (by Wordy McWordface (Standard Southern British English))

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
There are also posts from members called Egmont and Dojibear who have the same point of view as Jutfrank.

I don't think anyone's denying that "book tickets" is not used.

This is one of those situations where actual usage (even if not strictly correct) has become customary.

Crossed with #13.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes. You're saying that your logic-based judgement trumps actual usage.

Actually, I'm suggesting that most people agree with me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, the writers of the following don't:

He booked tickets for his trip to New York. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/book_2
The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family. https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/book
I've booked us two tickets to see "Carmen"/I've booked two tickets for us to see "Carmen". https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/book?q=book_1
I can book tickets for the concert next week. To arrange for or purchase (tickets or lodgings, for example) in advance; reserve. https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=book
"The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family". http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/book

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In none of the dictionaries cited in post #16 or any others I'm aware of does it mention that the verb 'book' is synonymous with 'buy'. The dictionaries are quite clear in their definitions: it means something along the lines of 'reserve something/somebody in advance'.

Anyway, I think we've shown that the disagreement on this point makes it unequivocally questionable usage. It's best we don't actively encourage learners to use questionable language, especially such language that many (I'd guess a majority) feel is incorrect.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In none of the dictionaries cited in post #16 or any others I'm aware of does it mention that the verb 'book' is synonymous with 'buy'. The dictionaries are quite clear in their definitions: it means something along the lines of 'reserve something/somebody in advance'.
What has that got to do with anything? We are talking about your claim:
You can't 'book' tickets.

Anyway, I think we've shown that the disagreement on this point makes it unequivocally questionable usage.
Far from it. It appears to be commonly used and accepted.
It's best we don't actively encourage learners to use questionable language,
That is nothing but your opinion. You have so far produced no evidence to justify it.
especially such language that many (I'd guess a majority) feel is incorrect.
Another claim without evidence.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What has that got to do with anything? We are talking about your claim:

We're talking about meaning. We're discussing whether 'book' is synonymous with 'buy'. Let's be careful not to confuse meaning with usage here.

Far from it. It appears to be commonly used and accepted.

Yes, it's accepted by some but not others. That's precisely the issue, isn't it?

That is nothing but your opinion. You have so far produced no evidence to justify it.

Justify what? That I feel that learners shouldn't use it? Why would I need to do that, as an EFL teacher? Or do you mean you want evidence that it's questionable? Look at this Quora page here. The only other discussion of this particular issue I can find is the one that White Hat linked in post #12, in which three people seem to be saying it's unacceptable against two.

Another claim without evidence.

What kind of evidence do you feel you need? Ngram data? Frankly, the best evidence that I can point to is the dictionary evidence. In none of the dictionaries I've looked at is 'purchase' clearly listed as a synonym of 'book'.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We're asking whether 'book' is synonymous with 'buy'.
I am not. I am questioning some of your claims:
1. You can't 'book' tickets.
2. I'm saying that I consider it wrong.
3. I'm suggesting that most people agree with me.

Let's be careful not to confuse meaning with usage here.
I have made no claims about meaning.
Yes, it's accepted by some but not others. Isn't that what we're agreeing on?
I certainly don't agree that I am accepting something that is incorrect.
Or do you mean you want evidence that it's questionable? Look at this Quora page here.
The citations I gave had been selected by lexicographers. I generally place more trust in them that in the opinions of people who contribute to internet forums. That is why I always cite grammar books and/or dictionaries if my forum opinion is challenged.
What kind of evidence do you feel you need? Ngram data?
We see from that that 'buys tickets' is six times more common that 'reserve tickets', not that 'reserve tickets' is incorrect.