Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
I was looking for a thread but coudn't find it in which one of the teachers said that depending on context the absence of 'for' in a sentence could mean that the action is still ongoing. I am not sure I remember it correctly.

'I have lived/worked here for ten years.' Usually means the speaker still lives there but depending on context can also mean that the speaker no longer lives/works there.
'I have worked here.' Means the speaker no longer works/lives there but could also mean that speaker still lives/works there.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.
I was looking for a thread but coudn't find it in which one of the teachers said that depending on context the absence of 'for' in a sentence could mean that the action is still ongoing. I am not sure I remember it correctly.

'I have lived/worked here for ten years.' Usually means the speaker still lives there but depending on context can also mean that the speaker no longer lives/works there.
This is my first visit to Prague in five years.'I have worked here.' Means the speaker no longer works/lives there (Yes) but could also mean that speaker still lives/works there. As, "I'm a freelance artist, but I have worked here for twenty-five years."

Context helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.