Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
What are the differences between the following sentences?Could you advise if there are any grammatical errors?

I spoke with him last night and he told me that he would tell his mum what was going in their relationship.

I spoke with last night and he told me he would tell his mother what is going on in their relationship.

I spoke with him and he told me that he would tell his mother what was going on in their relationship.

I spoke with him and he told me that he would tell his mother what is going on in their relationship.

I spoke with him and he advised that he would tell his mother what was going on in their relationship.

I spoke with him and he advised that he would tell his mum what's going on in their relationship.

I spoke with him and he advised that he will tell his mum what's going on in their relationship.

I have spoken to him and he said he would tell his mum what's going on in their relationship.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you sure your native language is (Afan) Oromo?

What is the source of these sentences?

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldenboy12

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
There is no source. I wanted you to check the grammar on the sentences. I struggle with grammar. So I write all the time to improve my grammar.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There has to be a source – even if you made them up yourself.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's way too many variations! Let's narrow it down.

First, let's get rid of the ones with advised, which is not correct. This leaves 1,2,3,4,8:

1. I spoke with him last night and he told me that he would tell his mum what was going in their relationship.
2. I spoke with last night and he told me he would tell his mother what is going on in their relationship.
3. I spoke with him and he told me that he would tell his mother what was going on in their relationship.
4. I spoke with him and he told me that he would tell his mother what is going on in their relationship.
8. I have spoken to him and he said he would tell his mum what's going on in their relationship.

Numbers 1 and 2 include last night, and so sound a bit more natural than 3 and 4, I think. So we can remove 3 and 4:

1. I spoke with him last night and he told me that he would tell his mum what was going in their relationship.
2. I spoke with last night and he told me he would tell his mother what is going on in their relationship.
8. I have spoken to him and he said he would tell his mum what's going on in their relationship.

(Note: 2. doesn't include him, which makes it ungrammatical, but let's assume that was unintended.)

This now leaves five points of comparison:

• spoke versus have spoken
  • spoke with versus spoke to
  • told me versus said
  • mum versus mother
  • is versus was
... which is still too much to ask in one thread. Please try again. This time try to focus on one point at a time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.