Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I stayed at a hotel by the lake.

I stayed at a hotel near the lake.

Are both the sentences okay and can we used them interchangeably?

Yes, pretty much.

Are both [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sentences okay, and can we use them interchangeably?
I am not a teacher, so please tell me whether the corrections are correct.

Yes. they are Matthew.

I stayed at a hotel by the lake.

I stayed at a hotel near the lake.

Are both the sentences okay and can we used them interchangeably?

If the hotel was by the lake, I would take it to mean that it was right next to the lake, while a hotel near the lake could be a short distance from it, a few minutes' walk, for example.

For me, "by" and "near" have the same meaning. If I wanted say "right next to the lake", I would use "on".

Maybe it's another of those little AmE/BrE differences.

Although "Are both sentences correct?" is a correct correction (!), it is not wrong to say "Are both the sentences correct?"

Suniljain, note that you missed the word "a" out of your title and you misspelt "stayed".

Last edited:
(Not a Teacher. BrE first language speaker)

>>Maybe it's another of those little AmE/BrE differences.<<

It certainly seems like it. Also, I don't think a BrE speaker would say "on" the lake, although we know what is meant in AmE. To us it sounds like you have a floating house! :)

This is what we say about the British having houses in a street. :lol:

Exactly. A house in the middle of a street is not a good place to live! :-D

What's the problem with such a house?

Hi Matthew,

It's just me trying to be funny using a play on words.

In BrE we might say when giving someone directions, that a house "is in the middle of the street", meaning that it is half way along a row of houses lining that street. The literal interpretation, however, is that the house is actually standing right in the middle of the road, or street, and therefore will get hit by traffic. So it is not a good place to live!

This is what we say about the British having houses in a street. :lol:

Just be glad it's not a street right next to a lake- we'd be here all day trying to sort it out. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back